Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Funkmiester
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting to www.explore.ms

has anyone had success connecting to the reports stored in www.explore.ms

The are downloadable excel files and I would like to connect directly to.

None of the credentials seem to allow access. I just want to connect the desktop for real time dashboards of the files held in there.

Anyone had success and care to share the secrets?

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Funkmiester ,

If we want to use the online Excel file, we at least need to let the link to the Excel file like "explore.ms/....../.xlsx", then the PowerBI may recognize it.

Because the www.explore.ms is not accessable in my environment, I can't test it. If you can't let the link like above, there is another workaround, we can use Python script to get the Excel from web then convert the Excel file as Pandas data frames, PowerBI can recognize it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-python-scripts

Best Regards,

Teige

Thanks Teige,

I can grab excel files from the web I was just interested if anyone had specifically done it with explore.ms.

I've tried every version of the permissions and still can't connect, I get various versions of permission denied or credentials not valid (I have the correct sign in details for the site). I was wondering if anyone in the community had already done it. I know it's a curious thing it's a commercially important MS site that looks like it was built in 1996 either that or there is an unsupervised hipster thinking a throwback website is "cool". Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into the python script but it won't be soon. I will check back and post if I get in. Thank you for your suggestion, is is always appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.