Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

danextian
Super User
Super User

Connecting to a local folder via On-Premise Gateway

Hi All,

I've been trying to connect to on-premise data but no luck.

Here's what I did.

>I created a report in Power BI Desktop which source is from a folder within On-Premise folder locally stored in my PC.

>Added a data source via Manage Gateways pointing to that folder

>Tested the connection and it was successful.

>Uploaded the Power BI Desktop model to the service.

>Went to the dataset settings for refresh schedule. But alas, here's what I got

You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go into Settings and then Datasets, and find your dataset.

Then where it says Refresh History click on that and then you should be able to view your error.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
lemontree
Helper I
Helper I

I am trying to do the same linking a report to a local folder (no sql, no sharepoint) and i get the same error for the past 2 days.

"Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Show details

any idea why this is happening?  initially i was trying to create a data source pointing to a local folder from a dropbox mapped drive and since i was getting the error i even moved the folder to c:\ but still i get the same. the steps i follow are:

1. create the report at power bi desktop

2. publish it

3. create the data source

when creating the data source I make sure to put the domain name before the username for the windows login ie domain\\username but still the error is there.

any ideas how to resolve this?

@danextian @Anonymous @GilbertQ 

p.s. i am using the latest version of  the recommended on-premises gateway - not the personal 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. Did you find a way to resolve this? 

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance

sherryliu
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. 

A. When I only connect to the folder data source, the refresh data detected the data gateway

B. When I connect multiple other resource from web such as google sheets, the refresh data was not able to detect the same data gateway. 

Please help. 

I publshed the report from the server where the data gateway installed. It refreshed locally on desktop without any issues. 

The folder path was the same for both A and B situation. 

Please help! Thanks

Hi @sherryliu

Currently the Power BI Enterprise Gateway cannot refresh data when the sources are from different area's. As in your case one source is from the cloud and another was from on-premise.

There is going to be an update to the Enterprise Gateway to enable this soon.

In the meantime the workaround is to use the Personal Gateway

Power BI Blog

Hi guavaq,

I tried to use personal gateway istead. However, it will not show up under web - manage gateway after successfully installation and signing in. Gateway Version Number 14.16.6464.1 How can I solve this?

hi @sherryliu

So you can confirm that you downloaded, installed and ran through the setup for the Personal Gateway?

There is a new version for the Personal Gateway in which you can also test and ensure that it is connected and working.

Here are more details: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-personal-mode/

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

What file location is your Data Gateway expecting?  Have you listed it as "\\Computer\Folder\"?  Have you instead listed this in your PBIX file as "C:\Folder\"?

If this is the case, start with @GilbertQ instructions and update your PBIX file to use the same folder as the gateway.

@Anonymous @GilbertQ

I connected it to something like this:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\source folder    which is the full path

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian and you can confirm when you set up the Gateway data source it also had the same folder mapping?

If so can you confirm how you imported the file into Power BI Desktop?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

I used the same folder path when i set up the data source in the service. I imported the data into the model using the Folder option.

Ok that then sounds all good to go.

Did you also ensure that you are in the Users Tab when setting up the Data Source in the Gateway in the Power BI Service?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

I was already added by default.

Ok, thanks.

Where did you install the On-Premise Gateway and can you confirm that it can connect from where the On-Premise Gateway is installed to your local PC?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ, I installed it on the very same PC im currently using. 

Are you able to post a screenshot of what the Folder.Contents looks like from the Query Editor, as well as what you get when clicking on the Data source settings in the Query Editor.

As well as the Data Source from the Gateway in the Power BI Service?

I have a feeling that possibly there is something that is causing this to not be matched.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ, please see atttached. I have multiple queries but are connected to the same files and folders and to a google spreadsheet published to the web

calendar.pngon-premise.png

Data Source  SettingsData Source SettingsPower Query Advanced EditorPower Query Advanced Editor

Anonymous
Not applicable

@danextian  I've noticed in your data sources you also have a Web Document.  Is this web document also inside your data gateway connection list?  Data gateways are an all or nothing deal.  If you don't have every datasource from your file in your gateway connections, it won't let you use it.

Hi @danextian

Your calendar.xlsx is the one that is causing it not to work, because it has been imported as an Excel file and not from a Folder.

What you can do is to import it again, but from a Folder and that should resolve your issue with the Gateway.

Power BI Blog

Is that necessary even if I already added the calendar file to the Manage Gateways?

hi @danextian

I forgot to mention that there is a way to modify the underlying M query for Calendar.xlsx but you will have to manually edit the code.

But until you can only see the Folder Icon's and possibly the Web Icon under the data sources, it will not connect to your Gateway.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.