Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Othmane26
Frequent Visitor

Connecting a big JSON file into Power BI Desktop

Hello everyone,

So for the past few days, I've been trying to connect a huge JSON file into a power bi report but with no success. My pc keep turning and turning till PowerBI Crashs. I tried to do the same thing in Power BI services but with no success either because the file exceeds 1GB in storage.

I've read on the web that we can use Azure SQL databases to surpass the problem, but the tutorials on the web aren't very clear. So I have few questions :

1 - On the tutorials people are creating the tables manually and then adding the data from the JSON file. This is something which I can't do because I have a lot of columns. is there a way to automatically to do that ? 

2 - The data model I want to use is already setup on powerbi desktop, if I'll be creating a database that means I have to recreate the data model right ? so is there a way to keep the same data model withtout having to recreate it (it's a big data model)

Thank you in advance, and if you have any other alternatives, Please write in comments.

1 REPLY 1
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

For #1, (I haven't done this myself) but it looks doable with OPENJSON

Different Ways to Import JSON Files into SQL Server (mssqltips.com)

For #2, once you load your data into a database, you can create new queries to load the data. Once it is in the same exact structure (column names, etc.), you can copy/paste the M code over the M code in the Advanced Editor of the original queries to update your original data model (so that relationships, measures, visuals, etc. are not broken).

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.