Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raymond
Post Patron
Post Patron

Connect PowerBI to AWS PostgreSQL using PuTTY

Hello everyone,

I have a rather complicated question regarding the connection to a AWS PostgreSQL and Power BI. 

The Database is stored on an AWS VPC. Database format is PostgreSQL. I use bastion to create the link between windows (Putty) and the linux database (AWS VPC). In my first set up the database wasnt stored on a vpc, it was rather hosted in the public internet. Power BI was easily able to establish the connection.

After adding the VPC, a connection could not be made. To establish this connection I am using Putty and of course the right key.

Testing with PgAdmin, I was able to connect my PC with the Database, however Power BI doesnt do so. 

I have no Idea why PBI cant establish a connection. There is no error code. 

Does anyone of you can help? It is kind of urgend 😄

7 REPLIES 7
sam004

To connect Power BI to an AWS PostgreSQL database through PuTTY is a simple process. Make sure you are using the latest version of networking client PuTTY.  First obtain the IP address or username of the PostgreSQL server. To know about the further process click here

raymond
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @Deep,
no we couldnt get through. Thus had to open it up; make it available w/o tunnel.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@raymond,

No error code means time out, right? Click dataset-> Data souce credential and check if the credential is invalid or expired.

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuta-msft thanks for responding.

Exactly, time out which resulted in the message "could not connect to data - error in loading previous table" » this message gets displayed for each data table. 

We have double checked the credentials, the cterificate on my windows machine, the npgsql, the putty keys, the ports. Nothing so far. We have even tried to use multiple laptops. 

A connection via pgadmin was possible, the connection via powerbi not. 

It seems as if now one can really help. 

Meanwhile I have talked to our IT department, which was also partly involved, and they said it might be possible with another server gateway. Is there any best practice? Can still anyone help me on my issue?

Anyone here? I know simle threads are more welcome 🙂

@raymond I am also struggling with this problem. Did you solve it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.