Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Connect Power BI with Azure Cosmos DB Emulator / Local Document DB / Local Cosmos DB

Hi Guys,

I am writing this post to just share this information that we can connect to On Prem Azure Cosmos Cosmos DB earlier called Document DB using Power BI Desktop. I don't know if anyone has explored this but it can be very useful in many IOT scenarios.

After downloading & installing Azure Cosmos DB Emulator, you can connect to the On Prem Cosmos DB in the similar way you connect to the Azure Cosmos DB. Following are the detailed steps:

1. Click on Get Data in Power BI Desktop and choose Azure Cosmos DB.
Cosmos1.PNG

2. Enter the localhost URL which is similar to this: https://localhost:8081/
Cosmos2.PNG

3. Enter the Master Account Key when asked for Account Key.
    Master Key : C2y6yDjf5/R+ob0N8A7Cgv30VRDJIWEHLM+4QDU5DE2nQ9nDuVTqobD4b8mGGyPMbIZnqyMsEcaGQy67XIw/Jw==
    Details: Click here

4. And Bang!! You are connected to the On Prem Cosmos DB.
Cosmos3.PNG

If any questions, drop me an email to pratyvoldy@gmail.com

Prateek Raina 

3 REPLIES 3
bfeenstra

I have connected to Cosmos DB via the Emulator and via the OBDC method, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/odbc-driver. When loading data, both of these methods max out at uploading roughly 123k rows of data. I get HTTP error code 429 (Too Many Requests) on the azure side of things and the rest of data is not loaded to Power BI. Any suggestion on how to fix? 

Brandon 

Hi @bfeenstra,

Sorry! No idea about that. Why don't you directly use Azure Cosmos DB data source instead of ODBC. That might resolve your issue.

Prateek Raina

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

March 2024 PBI Gallery Image

Power BI Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.