Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adrianVE278
Frequent Visitor

Connect Power BI / data federation Mongo DB and MongoDB Atlas SQL connector beta)

I am trying to connect my power bi desktop to a Mongo DB federated database instance.

I followed the previous steps for it, in summary:

* I have a user in mongo atlas with readAnyDatabases permission.

* start my federated cluster, in this case read from another mongoDb cluster (not from AWS S3 service)

* install the mongod db atlas ODBC connector ( atlas sql odbc 0.1.4)

* I have my connection URL with the name of the federated database (everything is fine with it)

It can even connect my deferred cluster with Monngo Compass (visualizing the data successfully) so I assume that all the configuration, mentioned above is correct.

however when I connect via Power BI (using the URI of the mongoDB federated database and the database name) the data I get in data transform has a "strange" format where I only see the ids and some other data , but not as such the data that I need to read from the collection added to the federated database.

Am I missing something in the configuration, or has someone else been able to perform this task without any problem.

Here is an image of what the loaded data looks like, however it is not the data contained in the database at all

adrianVE278_0-1685980724884.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adrianVE278
Frequent Visitor

The problem has been solved since I wrote, what happens is that the preview of the collection looks like the photo in the original post, however, when loading the data to transform it (or just loading it), it looks like the attached photo . But, it loads the subdocuments as objects literally as opposed to tables linked by _id as it does or to the MongoBI connector when it loads successfully.

adrianVE278_1-1686576880133.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
marzwrob
Helper II
Helper II

Is there a way to transform this data in PowerBI to a table-like data?

adrianVE278
Frequent Visitor

The problem has been solved since I wrote, what happens is that the preview of the collection looks like the photo in the original post, however, when loading the data to transform it (or just loading it), it looks like the attached photo . But, it loads the subdocuments as objects literally as opposed to tables linked by _id as it does or to the MongoBI connector when it loads successfully.

adrianVE278_1-1686576880133.png

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adrianVE278,

The data connector should design based on data source api to getting data. So these result fields may be different from the common table that you visited in the data source. (they may include some logic and flag field that be used in backend processing or other type of operations)

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Is there a way to transform this data in PowerBI to a table-like data rather an object? Getting the same issue loading from MongoDB via MongoDB Atlas connector

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.