Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Connect PBI to Sharepoint with many files

First of all, thank you for reading my question.

I leave my doubt since I did not find anything like it (or I did not know how to look for 😀).

The specific point is that I want to connect from the PBI server a couple of files that I have in Sharepoint, but the problem is that on the site I have too much information and it does not get me to show the files that I need (in fact I get an alert that says "It is possible that the preview data has been truncated due to size limits") and I can't find a way to filter the information for be able to narrow the number of files. Inside the Sharepoint site I have the information organized into folders, but when I want to make the connection it does not let me use them, it tells me that the connection must be directly to the root of the site.
If someone had a similar problem and/or comes up with how I can fix it I'll thank you!

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Syndicate_Admin 

You can connect to the sharepoint list. Then use the search bar above to all the files you need.

vjaneygmsft_0-1626680897866.png

Reference: Create a report on a SharePoint List in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Syndicate_Admin  Any updates?

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Syndicate_Admin 

You can connect to the sharepoint list. Then use the search bar above to all the files you need.

vjaneygmsft_0-1626680897866.png

Reference: Create a report on a SharePoint List in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Reviewing a little more, including the sites in English, I see that in the following link (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/combining-excel-files-hosted-on-a-sharepoint-folder/) they propose the solution to a similar problem and say that they should filter the list to reduce the number of files (just what I am looking for).
The problem with that solution is that I do not display the menu to be able to apply filters (neither by double clicking, nor with left, right button, etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.