Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ilana105
Helper I
Helper I

Combine date information different tables Direct query

Dear community,

I am importing several tables with Direct Query correctly and after that I want to create a table that shows per month the aggregated information from two different tables. Here is a snapshot of what I got:

• One table with income data ("importeVenta")

Capture01.JPG

• Other table with the number of impressions

Capture02.JPG

And the result I want to obtain it's a table combining both data. The problem is that when I add the measure from the first table, it only shows the complete aggregate

Capture00.JPG

In order to solve this I have tried different solutions:

• Create an intermediate table with all dates and use it to link both tables. However, I can´t create a table in Power BI when importing directly with direct query
  • I have created a new column in both tables called "monthYear", where I have the month and year of every line in the database. However, there are multiple values of the same monthYear in each table, so can´t make a N-M relationships
  • Calculate the information from the second table using the "Calculate" function, but this doesn´t work.

Could you please tell me other solution, or a way to work any of that solutions?

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ilana105,

• Create an intermediate table with all dates and use it to link both tables. However, I can´t create a table in Power BI when importing directly with direct query

What data source are you using with direct query model? Is it possible for you to create the Intermediate Calendar table on the data source side(like in a SQL DB)?Smiley Happy

• Calculate the information from the second table using the "Calculate" function, but this doesn´t work.

Have you tried using a similar formula like below to create a measure to calculate aggregate value from another table? It should work in this scenario.Smiley Happy

SumOfInventory =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table2[Inventory] ),
    FILTER (
        Table2,
        Table2[Year] = MAX ( Table1[Year] )
            && Table2[Month] = MAX ( Table1[Month] )
    )
)

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ilana105,

What data source are you using with direct query model? Is it possible for you to create the Intermediate Calendar table on the data source side(like in a SQL DB)?Smiley Happy

Have you tried using a similar formula like below to create a measure to calculate aggregate value from another table? It should work in this scenario.Smiley Happy

SumOfInventory =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table2[Inventory] ),
    FILTER (
        Table2,
        Table2[Year] = MAX ( Table1[Year] )
            && Table2[Month] = MAX ( Table1[Month] )
    )
)

Regards

Hello @v-ljerr-msft

Finally I have created an intermediate calendar table and everything is linked through that table

Hi @ilana105,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your last reply as solution to help others who has similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post the formula of your measure?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler

this is the structure I have in the table:

Untitled.png

The 3 values are direct values from different tables in the database. the first 2 come from one table and the Inventory from other table. I want to aggregate the 3 values by month

What is Inventory Coloumn? Is it a calculated measure? Can you share the formulat for inventory column? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hello @parry2k

Inventory is not a calculated measure. It is a number extracted from the database, and I want to show the aggregate per month. Please find attached the settings of the value:

Capture.JPG

To clarify, you want cummulative total for inventory?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.