Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JMST
Frequent Visitor

Combine archives

Hi all!

I have several Excel files one per month and I have it all combine in the same table, now I have a new Excel file for a new month and I want to combine it with the previous combined files but, I want to know if exists a way to do it without repeat all the data transformation. 

Thank you in advanced!

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JMST 

If you used a Folder as your source, then all you need to do is drop the new Excel file into the same folder as the other Excel files and then hit "Refresh" in Power BI Desktop (Canvas view, not Power Query).

TheoC_0-1685476649772.png

Otherwise, if you have published your Power BI report to a Workspace, you can go to Power BI Service and just hit refresh on the data set online.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JMST
Frequent Visitor

Hi Theo!

Exactly, my files have the same structure. I combined the files geting the files from a folder with the option "Charge and Transform Data", and I add different transformations to the combined table. I want to add monthly a new file to my combine table avoiding repeat the data transformation.

Thanks!

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMST 

If the data in the New Excel File is the same structure and format as the Old Excel Files, then it won't be an issue.  But you need to explain to us how you combined the Old Excel Files together.  Once you do this, we can better assist.

Thanks heaps!

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

JMST
Frequent Visitor

Hi Theo!

Exactly, my files have the same structure. I combined the files geting the files from a folder with the option "Charge and Transform Data", and I add different transformations to the combined table. I want to add monthly a new file to my combine table avoiding repeat the data transformation.

Thanks!

Hi @JMST 

If you used a Folder as your source, then all you need to do is drop the new Excel file into the same folder as the other Excel files and then hit "Refresh" in Power BI Desktop (Canvas view, not Power Query).

TheoC_0-1685476649772.png

Otherwise, if you have published your Power BI report to a Workspace, you can go to Power BI Service and just hit refresh on the data set online.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Theo

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.