Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jilee
Frequent Visitor

Combine Filter Columns into 1 Dynamic filter or slicer

Hi fellow PBI users,

I have been struggling with this for a while and not found an answer.  I hope someone will be able to help me with this. My goal is to have a single filter or a slicer that allows the user to select a column to filter on instead of having multiple filters for each of the columns being used as filters.

Let's say I have a table like this. 

AmtABC
100TRUEFALSEFALSE
300FALSEFALSEFALSE
230FALSETRUETRUE
530TRUEFALSEFALSE
910FALSETRUEFALSE
140TRUETRUEFALSE

I can create Filter A, Filter B, and Filter C. But when the number of these filter columns grow, it becomes difficult.  I have at least 10 filter columns.  

I thought about leveraing slicer with switch function but that only works for displaying different measures when I am just trying to filter data.

Please if anyone is able to help, let me know how or if it's impossible in Power BI. 

Thank you very much,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jilee ,

Please select columns A, B and C simultaneously in the Power Query Editor, then unpivot these columns.

vkkfmsft_0-1648085315704.png

vkkfmsft_1-1648085415271.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dapas
Regular Visitor

I believe this solution works if you are working with factual data, however, if the intention is to work with dimensional tables, this will break relational model. 

Wondering if there is any solution with hasonefilter or some trick to make filters from different dimensional (lookup) tables work with 1 selector. 

Thanks

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jilee ,

Please select columns A, B and C simultaneously in the Power Query Editor, then unpivot these columns.

vkkfmsft_0-1648085315704.png

vkkfmsft_1-1648085415271.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jilee
Frequent Visitor

Testing reply and alert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.