Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

andy808
Helper II
Helper II

Click Project name on a visual and have that Project name sync/apply to all pages-not drill through

I have a visual where users can select a Project

andy808_1-1699301397197.png

I have Project slicers on all pages that are synced

When the user selects a Project name from Project Slicer, I get the requirement that the Project Name is pre-selected/filtered on all pages.

But - now I am using a gantt chart and the user wants to select a project from the visual (not from the Project slicer) and have that selected project sync to all pages. Not a drill through
andy808_2-1699301993453.png

Is it possible to select a Project name from any visual and have that selection "sync" / carry through to other pages?

If it helps - I have a dynamic title that displays the Projects selected on visual or Slicer:

I have a dynamic report title that displays the report name chosen on a visual or on the Project Slicer.

TitleProjectList =
VAR __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT = DISTINCTCOUNT('Projects'[ProjectName])
VAR __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW = 4
Var StaticText = "Project List: "
RETURN
IF(ISFILTERED(Projects[ProjectName]),
    IF(
        __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT > __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
        CONCATENATE(
            StaticText&
            CONCATENATEX(
                TOPN(
                    __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
                    VALUES('Projects'[ProjectName]),
                    'Projects'[ProjectName],
                    ASC
                ),
                'Projects'[ProjectName],
                ", ",
                'Projects'[ProjectName],
                ASC
            ),
            ", etc."
        ),
        StaticText&
        CONCATENATEX(
            VALUES('Projects'[ProjectName]),
            'Projects'[ProjectName],
            ", ",
            'Projects'[ProjectName],
            ASC
        )
    ), "Project List:")

Thank you for any help here 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
andy808
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the quick response, I gathered that but was hopeful some DAX would solve my challenge. I tried a button but I can only control to 1 page by navigation like a drill through essentially, it doesnt help the filtering to all the other pages

View solution in original post

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@andy808 YUP, will not work, only to one page. Basically, sync slicer is the way to go, and I cannot think of the DAX way. Once we have the option to set a default value for the slicer then there might a DAX tricks but cannot think of that now. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@andy808 YUP, will not work, only to one page. Basically, sync slicer is the way to go, and I cannot think of the DAX way. Once we have the option to set a default value for the slicer then there might a DAX tricks but cannot think of that now. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

andy808
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for the quick response, I gathered that but was hopeful some DAX would solve my challenge. I tried a button but I can only control to 1 page by navigation like a drill through essentially, it doesnt help the filtering to all the other pages

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@andy808 you cannot sync the selected option from a visual to the other pages. Sync slicers is the way to go or as you mentioned, drill through but I guess that is not what you are looking for. 

Can I ask you another quick Q? 

What is the DAX for distinct count of Project Names based on Risks?

i.e. There are 8 Project Names for 20 Risks. (the 2 columns are from different table)

andy808_0-1699318470967.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors