Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing workspace in Paginated visual in Power Bi report

Hi,

I have a Power BI report which contains a Paginated visual. This paginated visual shows one of my RDL report published in same workspace. 

Now we maintain different workspaces like Dev/UAT/Prod in Power BI service. 

When I elevate my report to higher environment, how can I change my Paginated visual to reflect report from that respective workspace?
Or is it even possible to change workspace of paginated visual more than once?

Kindly put some light.

8 REPLIES 8
csm
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mukuldev3,

At one point I was able to change which paginated report the visual targeted using the Edit option under the header icons ellipse.  Now I find that option just renders the paginated report in focus mode, with no way to change parameters or which report it is connected to.  Seems like a bug to me, but all started when I put the visual into a group.  I was able to get the regular edit functionality back by ungrouping the paginated report visual, then regrouped once I changed the report/workspace. 

rbrocks
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@AnonymousI agree.  I would also like to know how to do this. I understand that I can use deployment pipelines for paginated reports. The issue is the paginated report visual does not change which environment it points to. So, if I want it to point to the paginated reports in the Test environment, I need to manually do that in test, and then remember to  change it back to pointing to production before I deploy the whole report to production. It would be helpful if this could be parameterized in some way. I do not know of a way to do that automatically with deployment pipelines or the REST API.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can I take it that you want to change the workspace for the report?

Please check if this article helps:

Migrate Power BI reports between multiple workspaces 

In this article, we have seen how we can create reports using the Power BI Desktop and then publish the same to Development Workspace in the Power BI service. Since it is always advisable that we keep isolated environments for development and production, it always becomes a messy task for the Power BI administrators to work around moving these reports across multiple environments. This article will help you understand the concepts of using the Power BI REST APIs and leverage the services to migrate these reports across multiple environments within the same Power BI service.

If I have not understood your needs correctly, please do not hesitate to inform me.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am wondering the same thing as mukuldev3. After skimming through the article, it does not seem to cover this scenario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xiaoyan-msft 
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying by your method we can change the workspace reference of the Paginated Report visual dynamically?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I am wondering the same thing as mukuldev3. As far as I understand Deployment Pipelines, have dynamic source for a Paginated Visual is not supported. Please advice otherwise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying by your method we can change the workspace reference of the Paginated Report visual dynamically?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.