Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JaJa1313

Changing SQL query of live PowerBI dataset

Good day everyone,

Today when working on a pbix file I saw that I could no longer edit the import SQL queries of my datasets.

JaJa1313_1-1696519295667.png

I then saw the following message in the bottom right:

JaJa1313_0-1696519143428.png

No matter what I try I cannot get to a place where I can edit my datasets as they are/were originally set up to import data from a local SQL database. Thus I do NOT want to link to a Powerbi dataset but rather to the SQL database.

So far Google has not been my friend. Any advice/solution will be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@JaJa1313  If you need to edit your data set with Live connection so you need to modify it from the base dataset (SSAS or Power BI Dataset).

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
ray_aramburo
Super User
Super User

You need to change your connection method then. It seems you are connected directly to a Power BI dataset instead of a database you can import/read with SQL. Go to Power Query and check your connections and sources there. 

Did I answer your question? Give your kudos and mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

When opening Power Query it requires me to create a local model. I can only delete the live PowerBI dataset, but cannot select advanced editor and there are no active queries so I cannot edit the queries.

JaJa1313_0-1696587474157.png

I there a way to view the SQL queries that the PBI dataset uses to update/refresh online? If I can delete the connection, it would assist if I can view the Sql queries as the pbix was built by another person.

From the file that has the live connection no; you need to request the original developer for the file that has the data model or request read permissions to that dataset and then downloading a copy of the .pbix file. 

Did I answer your question? Give your kudos and mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.