Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seabrew
Helper II
Helper II

Changing Power BI service datasets in a report

I switched over to using a shared Power BI dataset for my firms reports. This works great and is really nice to have a central place for all my DAX code, and for consistent measure formatting across reports. 

It appears that you cannot change a pbix reports connection once you tie it to a Power BI dataset based on the comments in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connecting-to-datasets-in-the-power-bi-service-from-desktop...

Our BI reports are now in production and I want to create a test environment using a UAT sharted Power BI data model for my existing reports. Sirui Sun mentioned to someone asking about this limitation: "Hey Lee - yes, the capability above is on our backlog - it is a crucial piece of our ALM vision."

Until this feature is avilable, does anyone know a way of hacking the PBIX file to point to the UAT Power BI dataset manually? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Changing Power BI service datasets has been added as a new feature in the August 2017 updates!

You can now change the data source in Power BI desktop by clicking Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings under the External Data tab. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@seabrew

No, you can't directly edit the .pbix hosted on Power BI Service. You can only download a .pbix copy from your workspace for UAT to on-premise machine. Then edit it and republish it onto UAT.

Regards,

@Simon_Hou-MSFT wrote:

@seabrew

No, you can't directly edit the .pbix hosted on Power BI Service. You can only download a .pbix copy from your workspace for UAT to on-premise machine. Then edit it and republish it onto UAT.

Regards,

Sorry, I am not following. I have the .pbix file stored locally and do all my work in Power BI Desktop. I don't see any open to change the data source once the pbix file is first connected to a power bi service dataset.

Changing Power BI service datasets has been added as a new feature in the August 2017 updates!

You can now change the data source in Power BI desktop by clicking Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings under the External Data tab. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.