Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AgulloBernat
Regular Visitor

Changes in format string are not applied until I actually change the measure

This has been happening for a long time to me, but searching around I did not find an issue to vote, so here is it. 

Is quite simple, I have a measure and I want to change the format string (either applying a custom format string from the report view, or change the number of decimals). Well, it does not apply the changes. It does not unless I make some change to the measure, like adding a new empty line or similar. Then the changes are applied. 

Sometimes I do forget about that, so I fell for that while writting my latest post 

https://www.esbrina-ba.com/changing-display-units-without-a-suffix/

please fix it! 

2 REPLIES 2
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AgulloBernat 

When you customize the formatting of the measure in the formatting pane at the top bar, you need to press Enter to confirm otherwise it will not take effect. You can format in the top bar or format in the model tab.

vangzhengmsft_1-1630989894287.png

Sample:

vangzhengmsft_0-1630989648710.png

Please read the following documents and post about formatting for more information.

FORMAT function

Use custom format strings in Power BI Desktop

Kton unit of measurement

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@AgulloBernat Right, you are hitting an issue with the optimization Power BI does to make things faster. Essentially, it's caching results so that it doesn't have to recalculate a bunch of stuff it already "knows". You changing the format doesn't nudge Power BI into thinking it has to recaculate anything. One could think of it as a bug and that changing a format should force a recalculation. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.