Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hans3400
Helper I
Helper I

Changes in Excel file

Hi 

So I started making a repport from an excel file. To begin with it was just for testing so I just typed in a whole lot of data that I got from different places. All in all I have 10 tables in one sheet and it looks really messy. 

Now I'm trying to clean up the tables by grouping them on different sheets and changing their name so it's easier to understand what the numbers mean. When I do that I can't seem to refresh my PBI repport as it tells me "The key didn't match any rows in the table". 

Ofc I can start over but I have made quite a lot of new columns and measures and also spent a lot of time on the visuals. 

Is there a way to "fix" my problem? 

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @hans3400 

According to your description, When you refresh the data , it returns the error code "The key didn't match any rows in the table".

When Power BI Desktop refreshes, an error is usually reported because an error occurs in a step in PQ, resulting in the inability to obtain the corresponding data.

You can click the "Transform data" in the "Home":

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1669862247660.png

Then we can go to each query and it's each steps to check if has an error.

We need to solve all the error code in the Power Query Editor so that we can refresh our data in Power Bi Desktop.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @hans3400 

According to your description, When you refresh the data , it returns the error code "The key didn't match any rows in the table".

When Power BI Desktop refreshes, an error is usually reported because an error occurs in a step in PQ, resulting in the inability to obtain the corresponding data.

You can click the "Transform data" in the "Home":

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1669862247660.png

Then we can go to each query and it's each steps to check if has an error.

We need to solve all the error code in the Power Query Editor so that we can refresh our data in Power Bi Desktop.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

TomasAndersson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sounds like some of your issues could be fixed by using the Advanced Editor in Power Query.

If you go your model, and select "Edit Query" on a table and then go to the Advanced Editor, you can manually change the paths, columns, column names and much more. Many things can be done by just adding or changing a few words, and you can always save the original query text somewhere so you "reset" if you mess something up.

It will look different depending on if you're importing tables or sheets or something else, but the basic idea is similar. Of course, the more changes you need to do, the more complicated it might get.

TomasAndersson_1-1669804627079.png

TomasAndersson_0-1669804468905.png
Feel free to share screenshots or explain further if you want some more specific help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.