Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JBeyers
Helper III
Helper III

Change transparancy of the filter in a visual

Is it possible to change the transparancy of the filter in a visual?

I have a line chart here and it is really unclear what data is highlighted, I'd like to set the transparancy of the things that are not highlighted on 0. If this is not possible out of the box is it easy to make a custom visual out of this? 

notworking.PNG

Curious to hear your opinion.

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JBeyers,

Could you not create another visual which uses the same attributes as you have in your chart with the line colours?

Then when you click on the other visual it will then filter your line chart to ONLY show what you selected?

This is shown below.

Power BI - Single Selection in Charts.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hey @GilbertQ

I like your solution however it doesn't seem to work for me. 

I think it is because I want to filter on the column header, instead of a value in one column (country in your example).

Do you know if that's right?

notworking.PNG

Thanks for the help anyway!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@JBeyers

I think your best option may be a Disconnected Slicer - read about it here

https://powerpivotpro.com/2012/07/dynamic-topn-reports-via-slicers-part-2/

It seems you have about 15 Measures

If you've been relying on the built-in calculations (i.e. dragging a Column to the Values area)

you may have to write the equivalent Measures.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Unfortunately we don't have such setting. Smiley Sad

But what you could do is Hide the Legend in the Chart OR better yet Position it on Top (if you need to make room for the Slicer)

then create a Slicer using the same Legend Field and the Slicer will filter all others in effect setting trasnsparency to zero

not exactly what you asked for but with the slicer you can select multiple items which unfortunately you can't do with the Legend too

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Hey Sean, 

Thanks for the suggestion but the big problem here is that I'm not using a legend. The legend that you see here are just all input columns in the value section. I don't think it is possible to create a slicer on column headers, or is it?

Any alternative options? 

Hi @JBeyers,

>>I don't think it is possible to create a slicer on column headers, or is it?

Yes, current power bi visual not support to create a slicer on column headers like a pivot table.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.