Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sokon
Advocate V
Advocate V

Change of 'Locale' setting seems to have no effect on DAX output

This ist what I did:

1) I've got an english installation (05-2017), but the locale settings are set to German.

2) In an empty PBIX I added a new date table using DAX:

Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2016;1;1); DATE(2016; 12; 31))

3) I added another column to get the month name:

Monthname = FORMAT('Date'[Date]; "MMMM")

4) The result are english month names instead of german month names:
monthname2.png

I tried refreshing data without success. I tried also re-opening the file in a german installation and refresh the data - still english month names. If i start over an do steps 2 and 3 within a german installation, i get german month names. Uploading the file to PowerBI.com and changing the service's Locale setting doesn't seem to have an effect neither.

I seems that the installation that first creates a PBIX seems to set the Locale setting for DAX and that setting can't be changed afterwards. Can anyone confirm that? Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Following this link, I found an explanation and solution to the issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Salvador
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

I'd say on power bi online, it checks the user's locale settings, in my case, i publish with spanish locale settings, and users from portugal and uk get the month names in their regional languages.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly, in my case, this does not work. As you can see in the screenshot below the menu has german captions whereas in the table visual the month name is still english:

locale2.png

I suspect this is a DAX related issue, using M seems to work correctly. Did you create the date table with a DAX table expression like I did? 

@Sokon

Locale setting will only impact date, number format, it can't change the languages.

55.PNG

For Power Query, this setting will be taken: Internationalization (Power Query)

Regards,

Following this link, I found an explanation and solution to the issue.

@v-sihou-msftThanks for your confirmation!

OK, now we know that you can't change the language of a DAX output by changing the "Locale"-setting.

Is there another way to do just that?

If there was none, then I couldn't use a DAX-created date table in a scenario where I need to translate month names to another language depending on the users Location/culture´.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.