Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JannikT
Regular Visitor

Change Data Region

Hi everyone,

I would like to move a workspace to a new premium capacity which was implemented in West Europe (AMS).
However the data of these datasets (large storage mode) of the workspace are stored in North Europe (DUB).

JannikT_0-1653479345299.png

Is it therefore possible to change the data region of my workspace to West Europe (AMS)?
And if yes, how can I do that?

Or does my premium capacity also have to be in North Europe (DUB) if my created datasets have North Europe (DUB) as their data storage region?

Thank you very much in advance for any help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JannikT 

For your questions, you can refer to this official doc first: Large datasets in Power BI Premium. Here is a Note extracting from it: Once a large dataset is created in a workspace, it must stay in that region. You cannot reassign a workspace with a large dataset to a Premium capacity in another region.

What you want is the Multi-Geo feature. If Multi-Geo is enabled, you can move workspace to a premium capacity in other data regions from the home region. You can also create a large-storage format dataset in other data region. But it is not supported to move an existing large-storage format dataset to another data region. For more detailed descriptions and considerations, please refer to Configure Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium 

• It is possible to create and maintain large-storage format datasets in remote regions to meet data residency requirements. However, note that you cannot move storage format datasets to another region. Moving large-storage format datasets from the region where they were created will result in reports failing to load the dataset. Move the large-storage dataset back to its original region to make it available. If you must move such a model, you must deploy it as if it was a new model, and then delete the old model from the undesired region.

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pepi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-jingzhang 

If I'm reading the article (Configure Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium ) correctly, creating a Fabric capacity in a region that is not your tenant's home region and moving some PBI workspace there, would migrate the data on that workspace (semantic models etc) to the capacity's region - is that correct? I need to find a definitive confirmation for this because I'm getting some conflicting advices on this even from Microsoft support.

Thanks

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I found you can go into Dataset Settings, turn off Large storage mode, move the Workspace to the capacity in a different region, turn back on Large storage mode.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JannikT 

For your questions, you can refer to this official doc first: Large datasets in Power BI Premium. Here is a Note extracting from it: Once a large dataset is created in a workspace, it must stay in that region. You cannot reassign a workspace with a large dataset to a Premium capacity in another region.

What you want is the Multi-Geo feature. If Multi-Geo is enabled, you can move workspace to a premium capacity in other data regions from the home region. You can also create a large-storage format dataset in other data region. But it is not supported to move an existing large-storage format dataset to another data region. For more detailed descriptions and considerations, please refer to Configure Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium 

• It is possible to create and maintain large-storage format datasets in remote regions to meet data residency requirements. However, note that you cannot move storage format datasets to another region. Moving large-storage format datasets from the region where they were created will result in reports failing to load the dataset. Move the large-storage dataset back to its original region to make it available. If you must move such a model, you must deploy it as if it was a new model, and then delete the old model from the undesired region.

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.