Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TaraB89
Helper II
Helper II

Card category label not word wrapping properly?

Hello,

I have a Card visual with a Category Label that i want to word wrap. 

The word wrapping of the label (not the value of the card, really the category label) doesn't seem to work properly.

It will only wrap it when I make the size really big but then I get a big card with a lot of blank space above the value which I cannot change.

When I use Title instead of Category Label it does work, but I have everything set on Category Label and prefer to keep it that way xD

See the image. The middle one is the size I would like to achieve but as you can see it wont wrap the words. 

I either have to make it really wide (left one) or really long (right one).

As you can see, the Title one does work, it is the exact same size as the Category Label one.

Voorbeeld card 2.jpg

I would think it would do the samen as a Title, that the value gets pushed up a bit and cut off if it doesn't fit.

Hope someone can help

Regards,

Tara

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TaraB89 it wraps the category label if there is enough height, see small video below, if heigh it enough it wraps, if I change the height, it doesn't wrap. I hope it helps.

kpi card wrap.gif

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
allanp5
Regular Visitor

I realise that this is an old query, but I had the same issue with the new card and this thread came up. This does work with a little extra effort (with the new card) - it isn't intuitive.

If under > Callout you have 'Apply Settings to' set to ALL then text wrap does not work. If you change this to one of your series and under > Callout  > Labels you enter your label text and then apply Word wrap then word wrap is applied.

It doesn't seem to be intuitive that the word wrap setting only works when each series is formatted individually but at least it can be made to work.

Has this changed? i can no longer find "Applye Settings to" under the "Callout label" section, nor can i find it anywhere else.

Nevermind, the padding was screwing it up

TaraB89
Helper II
Helper II

Yes for now it's solved then, thank you for the help!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TaraB89 well, you can always report this as a bug or idea on the ideas forum. Is it solved for now or not that's the question?

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

TaraB89
Helper II
Helper II

@parry2k thanks for the reply. It's just strange that when I use a Title it does work. 

When I use a Title the Value get pushed down a bit, as far as it can go or sometimes even too far because you will see the Value getting cut off.

With Category Label the Value doesn't get pushed up. The amount of blank space above the Value always stays at a minimum height 😞

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TaraB89 it wraps the category label if there is enough height, see small video below, if heigh it enough it wraps, if I change the height, it doesn't wrap. I hope it helps.

kpi card wrap.gif

This is somewhat helpful I guess as it explains why it doesn't work. However it still doesn't work for a card visual that isn't hugely tall. Is there a workaround that will allow the category label to wrap without needing the card visual to be a certain height? I'm sorry but this is pretty horrible (not your solution but MS implementation of word wrapping which seems to be a problem for them throughout power bi in general)

Otherwise, I'm going to have to manually layer another card on top of the existing ones to create a false illusion of the category label properly wrapping. 

Edit: I found the "card with states" custom visual which seems to implement word wrapping on the category label properly. Strange how MS just leaves their native card visual broken. Makes you wonder if they're just going to abandon this product.

Wrap for labels is good.. yet no option for values to wrap..

Seems like this low hanging fuit is a unicorn

Card values which wrap and have vertical / horizontal alignment

I haven't found a proper solution for it. In my reports I replaced all the category labels for titles and those do wrap properly 😞 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.