Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

nkrowitz
Frequent Visitor

Cannot open PBIT / Template files

Hey there,

If I take a working .pbix file and save it as a .pbit, if I try opening the .pbit it gives the error "unable to open template -- 'filename.pbit' is corrupt or invalid report file."

I've tried this with multiple different working .pbix files, and am finding that I get this error regardless.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daviejoe
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

There is a known issue with the August Power BI release, it should be fixed by the end of today US time.

If you need to roll back to a previous months version then use the below link, I've kept the link saved for any eventualities like this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive#march-2020-upda...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Daviejoe
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

There is a known issue with the August Power BI release, it should be fixed by the end of today US time.

If you need to roll back to a previous months version then use the below link, I've kept the link saved for any eventualities like this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive#march-2020-upda...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @nkrowitz ,

Following questions:

1. What version of Power BI Desktop are you working with?
  2. How are you creating the template file? Are you using export option as below: Pragati11_1-1597334849804.png

I am using Power BI Desktop July 2020 version. I tried creating a template file of one my dashboards using the above EXPORT option. After saving it, tried opening it and it works perfectly fine.

Add details as asked above and check if you are working with the latest Power BI Desktop version.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.