Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cheers
Regular Visitor

Cannot install - requires older version of IE

Hello,

When I try to update PowerBI with the latest April 2018 version, the installation ends because:

"Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64) requires Internet Explorer 9 RTM or later. Please make sure that you have Internet Explorer 9 RTM or later installed".

That's a strange message as I have IE version 11.0.9600.18893, yet Power BI does not recognize it. It gets even more complicated as I can't simply install IE 9 - it says that I already have more recent IE version.

I am using Windows 7 x64, already have Power BI x64, although the same error message I receive when try to install 32-bit Power BI too.

I had similar issue at home (again Win 7 x64), where I didn't have any older versions of Power BI installed, not fixed yet.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi cheers,

Please refer to this similar case:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/cant-install-power-bi-desktop/td-p/150017

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your suggestion, but this case is very different from my issue. Just in case, I tried the suggestion for that case, and expectedly, didn't seem to work for me.

Multiple people in my organisation are also seeing this exact same issue (e.g. have IE11 installed, but being told you need IE9 at least), and the suggested resolution doesn't have anything to do with the problem.  

Anything new on this? May this be an organizational restrictions issue?

Hi I had the same problem, the only thing I did was update the explorer

Hi I have the same problem, could you find the solution, please write me eduardoemiliani@hotmail.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.