Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TabathaN
Advocate II
Advocate II

Cannot Search by Number or Date in Slicer

Why is it that you cannot turn on the search function in a slicer if it is a date or number field? Why does this only work with text? 

This is SO frustrating!

ex1.png

ex2.png

ex3.png

17 REPLIES 17
ggyczew
Helper I
Helper I

Unbelivable 4.5 years

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waiting too.

Padycosmos
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The work around would be to duplicate the number/date columns, change the data type to "text" and use the search option.

Yes, but you create a new issue by solving the issue this way. Changing these numeric values to text increases the size of the column and adds latency to your load/refresh times.

yep just thought of this but how ridiculous

SonamSahoo2020
Frequent Visitor

I am also waiting for this feature.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TabathaN ,

There is an idea about that, Please vote it up to make this feature comming soon.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above link if for a different idea. This is the correct one to vote for:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17308441-slicer-for-number-search

@v-frfei-msft thanks. I just voted for the one linked within the post you recommended

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TabathaN  - 

For both dates and numbers, slicers have the option of "Between" slider, which also allows you to type in the boxes.

Slicer Between.PNG

Hope this helps,

Nathan

That option is tedious and I believe has a small bug in it. If you do a between search once, then go back to enter a value in the first box and tab to the second, it reverts the first box back to the last search and you have to go back and type in the second search, in the first box, again.

I don't want to have to type out a number twice when I'm searching for a single value. Also, if I want to find all values that contain a string of "123", you can't, it has to match exactly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One options is to add a text version of your column for a slicer. Or change the column data type. Typically, descriptive attributes are text types.

an issue with this:

if you have mostly 7 digit numbers in a Text field, but some numbers are only 4 digits, the search function is unable to return the smaller numbers- e.g. searching "4147" returns a list of 7 digit numbers that END with 4147. The number that was searched for does not even appear at the end of the list.

@Anonymous until Microsoft can "fix" this, your suggestion of duplicating the column and changing the data type of my case number works. Thank you so much for this suggestion!

Hallo,

two year passed and no fix!

Thanks for nothing.

3 years now

4... unbelievable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.