Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KCinMelbourne
Resolver I
Resolver I

Can you apply changes and refresh all at the same time in Desktop?

Hi all,

A relatively simple question that has bothered me for some time.  When you make changes in Query Editor and select 'Apply Changes' it will refresh only the impacted queries.  Sometimes this is great, but when applying to the largest table in the model, I'd often prefer to complete a full refresh while applying changes. 

Is it possible to do this?  I've been unclear that if I close Query Editor without applying changes and then select "Refresh", whether this will then force the applied changes.

Thanks

KCinMelbourne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @KCinMelbourne

These are two different processes, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve in Power BI for now.
For your requirement, you could post your new idea in Power BI ideas and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ian96
Regular Visitor

Agreed, this seems like a very simple request - if you have to apply the changes by refreshing the query, why can't we refresh ALL of the queries? 

We connect to SSMS and sometimes it takes 20 minutes for a query to generate results, so waiting the 20 minutes to apply the changes and then waiting another 20 minutes to refresh the other data seems like a huge waste of time. Big productivity gains could be realized

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also concur this is a huge time waster.  I have times that I will...
a.  open a desktop model a month later and click "refresh", and it will fail (even though it all worked a month ago). 20 min wasted.
b.  It forces me to go to query editor and click "Refresh All".  Another 20min wasted.
c.  I return to my model but even though I just did a "Refresh All" in the query editor, nothing is updated here.  Have to press "Refresh".  Another 20min wasted.

Hooray! An hour later, I can finally get to work.

So why can't Query Editor "Refresh All" success automatically update the model?

I 100% agree with this. It is SO Frustrating on large models to have to deal with constant refreshing when you want to do things all at once. 

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KCinMelbourne

I think it is best to disable "Allow data preview to download in the background".

Then when you make a change to a query, select the query table and click refresh preview to refresh all data for this query table only.

image.png

Thanks for your reply, but I think you've misunderstood. I am actually seeking to refresh the entire model when I hit apply changes and leave Query Editor, rather than only impacting edited queries.

hi, @KCinMelbourne

After you had done all the change in the Edit Queries, For your requirement, you need to follow these two steps:

Step1:

You could click "Close&Apply"

Step2:

then select "Refresh".

Now, this is the newest data model.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft, thanks for your feedback but again, not what I'm chasing.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to understand if this can be completed as one step. In large models, the refresh of the impacted tables can take 15 minutes while the tables are refreshed.  I then have to wait that time again if I refresh the whole model. 

Hence I'm trying to understand if I can apply changes and refresh the whole model in a single go so I only have to wait once.

Cheers

Kirsty

I'm having this issue as well. Basically have to refresh twice- Once in edit queries, and then again in the Report.

hi, @KCinMelbourne

These are two different processes, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve in Power BI for now.
For your requirement, you could post your new idea in Power BI ideas and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.