Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Avivek
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Can we have incremental refresh on a view

Hi everyone!!!!

I have question on incremental refresh, i have a model which has tables created using views. For my fact table I want to apply incremental refresh which I am aware hot to apply.

So if I have 10lakhs record and i am putting incremental refresh for every day, and say i have 10thousand records updated everyday then the 1st day my data would be 10lakhs 10thousand records. Using incremental refresh only 10 thousand will be loaded and the 10 lakhs will be there as it is. 

My question is can i apply a similar incremental refresh or its concept to the view in oracle itself.

Meaning, although the power bi refreshes incrementally,ie.10 thousand record, can we apply similar concept directly in oracle itself, ie., oracle itself restricts data, it loads all the data 1st time but everyday it loads only the 10 thousand records and 10 lakhs will be there as it is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Avivek 

I think it is not possible because a view is a named query. It looks like a table but actually it doesn't store any data. All data is stored in the corresponding underlying tables. So you cannot apply a similar incremental refresh to the view in oracle itself. 

You can refer to this guide: A Comprehensive Guide to Oracle View By Practical Examples. I extract some explanations from it as below. Hope this helps.

============================================

If you give this query a name, then you have a view. This is why sometimes a view is referred to as a named query.

So by definition, a view is a “virtual” table whose data is the result of a stored query, which is derived each time when you query against the view.

A view is a virtual table because you can use it like a table in your SQL queries. Every view has columns with data types so you can execute a query against views or manage their contents (with some restrictions) using the INSERTUPDATEDELETE, and MERGE statements.

Unlike a table, a view does not store any data. To be precise, a view only behaves like a table. And it is just a named query stored in the database. When you query data from a view, Oracle uses this stored query to retrieve the data from the underlying tables.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Avivek 

I think it is not possible because a view is a named query. It looks like a table but actually it doesn't store any data. All data is stored in the corresponding underlying tables. So you cannot apply a similar incremental refresh to the view in oracle itself. 

You can refer to this guide: A Comprehensive Guide to Oracle View By Practical Examples. I extract some explanations from it as below. Hope this helps.

If you give this query a name, then you have a view. This is why sometimes a view is referred to as a named query.

So by definition, a view is a “virtual” table whose data is the result of a stored query, which is derived each time when you query against the view.

A view is a virtual table because you can use it like a table in your SQL queries. Every view has columns with data types so you can execute a query against views or manage their contents (with some restrictions) using the INSERTUPDATEDELETE, and MERGE statements.

Unlike a table, a view does not store any data. To be precise, a view only behaves like a table. And it is just a named query stored in the database. When you query data from a view, Oracle uses this stored query to retrieve the data from the underlying tables.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.