Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the source file be replaced

Hi,

The dashboard that I am building is based on an excel source but due to some circumstances I need to change the source from excel to csv, so I have converted my source file from excel to csv, but I still haven't changed the source in Power BI, my question is that will my dashboard still function if I replace the source from file in excel format to the same file but in csv format?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Go to the Home tab in Power BI and click the button Transform Data.

This will take you to Power Query. If you look at the picture below you will see how to get to the M code.  You can copy and paste that from one query to another so that everything downstream will stay the same.

Nathaniel_C_0-1656726240592.png

I highly reccomend this book by @KenPuls 

Nathaniel_C_1-1656726637376.png

BTW, you can give kudos and accept solution from multiple people, so if we helped you move on, please feel free to give @pranit828  and myself those.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Anonymous ,

It will, How I will do it is as follows.

Consider you have a "Source1" named Query which gets 10 columns.

I would create another new Query "Source1 from csv" and get all the columns in same order and same column name and type as it was in previous Query.

Once the "Source1 from csv" query looks good to implement, I will copy its M Code and paste it in the 1st query "Source1"

Regards,

Pranit

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am somewhat new to power bi, so I am ask what does M code mean?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Go to the Home tab in Power BI and click the button Transform Data.

This will take you to Power Query. If you look at the picture below you will see how to get to the M code.  You can copy and paste that from one query to another so that everything downstream will stay the same.

Nathaniel_C_0-1656726240592.png

I highly reccomend this book by @KenPuls 

Nathaniel_C_1-1656726637376.png

BTW, you can give kudos and accept solution from multiple people, so if we helped you move on, please feel free to give @pranit828  and myself those.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.