Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gordoncappo
Frequent Visitor

Can't work with aggregates because Power BI not recognizing column as numeric data

Ive dug through all the documentation and forum posts but can't seem to find a solution. Power BI will not recognize a column in my data as numeric which is preventing me from leveraging the aggregation features. 

Link to what I am talking about:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-aggregates

I have done the following so far:

• Changed data type to type number in Power Query
  • Data type on PBI desktop set to Whole Number
  • Format on PBI desktop set to Whole Number
  • Summarization set to Sum
  • Running the February 2024 version of PBI Desktop.

I am not seeing the Numeric Field Sigma icon anywhere too.  It doesnt show up next to the column on Report View, Table View, or Model View. When I drag my "Value" column to a "Values" field in a visual, it does nothing. Below is a screenshot of what I see. Why is the Sigma symbol missing? Is this a setting issue?

gordoncappo_0-1708631808644.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

5 REPLIES 5
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @gordoncappo ,

then there's a value im your field that is not a number that is preventing you from converting the column to an aggregate.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Idrissshatila thank you for your response.

I don't know how that would be possible because there is no data error in power query and I can write a simple SUM formula on the column with no issue. Screenshot of the the column quality in power query.

gordoncappo_0-1708634376393.png

@gordoncappo ,

if you can write a sum measure then what's the problem, you could write a measure to aggregate.

I am wondering why it will not show the Numeric Field Sigma icon? Is there a setting I need to adjust?

@gordoncappo , check this https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Missing-Sum-Icon-in-the-table/td-p/1881045

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.