Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SanderVeeken
Helper II
Helper II

Can't switch storage mode to import

Hello everyone,

I started my first project that involves connecting to AAS. I read up on the possibility of composite/mixed storage modes because I would like to keep the facts table as "live" as possible and some/most of the dim tables should be import or mixed. Also, I may need to add data and definitely measures to the model. I realize I need to change to DirectQuery mode for that to work, and that's fine, but it's not working for me at the moment.

Steps taken thus far:

- Add data source, select AAS, provide server/model and credentials

- See all tables and check "include tables added later" (not sure if it's necessary atm but seems sensible

- Find "make changes to this model" button and click it

- Get past the warning that says "you're changing to direct query"

In the model view, I was now expecting to be able to select a table and change the storage mode to "import", but it's fixed at "DirectQuery" and the dropdown is greyed out. Does anyone know why?

As a test, I got past it by editing the data source, removing one table that I want to switch to import from the connection, then choosing a new data source (direct query) and select import in that step. But if that's the only way, this is going to be a major PITA as at this stage I can't know exactly which tables I might want/need to switch from DQ to import.

4 REPLIES 4
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SanderVeeken 

You can not edit the mode, it has the following limtation.

• You cannot edit, delete or create new relationships in the same Power BI dataset or Analysis Services source. If you have edit access to these sources, you can make the changes directly in the data source instead

You can refer to the following link.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-composite-models#working-with-a-c...

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Yolo, 

Thanks for your reply. However, I'm not trying to modify relationships. I'm trying to switch the storage mode of a table. This should be possible when connected to AAS via Direct Query. In fact, PBI even has a button "make changes to this model" and then explicitly says that it'll switch to Direct Query to let you modify the model. 

I'm trying to figure out what other reasons there might be why I can't then switch the table storage mode to import. 

Hi @SanderVeeken 

You should use a real-time connection at the beginning, but when the real-time connection is converted to direct query, it is not supported to convert it to import mode, if you want to use import mode, please consider using import mode when connecting to AS data sources. You can refer to the following link.

Switch SAP Hana Live connection to import mode - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm pretty sure it is supported to switch individual tables to import mode, or at least it has worked for other DirectQuery databases I've used.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.