Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get rid of "apply query changes message. I changed "Groups"?

Hey all, I just ran into this issue which will most likely cost me all the work I did today.

So it started with powerBI calculated column that made my powerBI perpetually say "working on it". I then killed the process after 20 minutes, hoping to get a recovery message, and I did. But now after opening the recovery file, I notice that after the refresh, it still shows the "Apply query changes" button.

No matter how often I click it, it will say "updating query metadata" but it will never go away. When  I try to discard the changes ,I see this:

discard changes.png

Does anyone have any idea what "Groups" means in this context? 

Would love some help. Otherwise I have to restart from my file from this morning.

Jaap

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I found this solution by @Sebas2905. It's a pain in the ass to implement, but it seems to work.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-There-are-pending-changes-in-your-queries-that-haven-t... 

I had the same problem and was able to solve the issue, but be aware!  You will have to recreate your relationships in the model and your calculated columns in the tables. It's not perfect, but it's a lot less work than rebuilding the report entirely.

I did the following:

1. I opened the file with the "Pending changes" issue and opened the Power Query editor

2. I opened a new power BI file and copied all the tables from the file with the "Pending changes"issue to the new file and loaded the tables in the new file

3. I deleted all tables in the Power Query Editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue, except for my Measures table. I kept the measures table. So make sure all your measures are put in a measures table. Don't close the Power Query editor!

4. Open the Power Query editor in the new file and copy all tables (except for the measures table) back to your file with the "Pending changes" issue.

5. Close the Power Query editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue and it will load all tables. The message should now disappear.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I found this solution by @Sebas2905. It's a pain in the ass to implement, but it seems to work.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-There-are-pending-changes-in-your-queries-that-haven-t... 

I had the same problem and was able to solve the issue, but be aware!  You will have to recreate your relationships in the model and your calculated columns in the tables. It's not perfect, but it's a lot less work than rebuilding the report entirely.

I did the following:

1. I opened the file with the "Pending changes" issue and opened the Power Query editor

2. I opened a new power BI file and copied all the tables from the file with the "Pending changes"issue to the new file and loaded the tables in the new file

3. I deleted all tables in the Power Query Editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue, except for my Measures table. I kept the measures table. So make sure all your measures are put in a measures table. Don't close the Power Query editor!

4. Open the Power Query editor in the new file and copy all tables (except for the measures table) back to your file with the "Pending changes" issue.

5. Close the Power Query editor in the file with the "Pending changes" issue and it will load all tables. The message should now disappear.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Dina,

I was more impatient and redid all my work since the beginning of the day. Thanks for thinking along though, I'll accept the answer.

Jaap

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.