Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pallavi
Helper II
Helper II

Can i call Stored Procedure with Direct Query?

-> Import vs Direct Query – So at the moment i am loading the queries into Power BI Desktop by using Import Query rather than Direct Query inturn it stores the data in the cloud, which isn’t security approved at the moment. So i want to figure out

• How we can use Direct Query when loading data into Power BI Desktop

I have a fear that using Direct Query will slow down our dashboards as when a user filters it will retrieve the information from the database through the gateway. So

1. Convert the queries into stored procedures. I am hoping that by creating the stored procedures the data will load faster when a user filters a report in Power BI Service where the data source is from a stored procedure.

It would be great if one gives suggestions and explain me the better approach and please let me know whether stroed procedures gonna work with direct query, if so how i need to call from direct query.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Could you please correct me whether i can go with the following approach for direct query mode

1) Creating a table with the same columns i am using in SQL Script

2) Coverting the SQL Script into Procedure and inserting data in a newly created table

3) schedule the procedure for refreshing data as many times based on the usage

4)use direct query mode and call this table instead of stored procedure.

Now the data will be loaded and i am able to create visualizations. Please correct me

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.