Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Venkata1858

Can I connect more than one power bi service datasets to PBI desktop same time.

Hi, I have couple of questions, can some one answer my questions please

1. Can I connect more than one power bi dataset to power bi desktop, if Yes, please tell me how ?

2. I have created few power bi apps, while creating them I have enabled the build permission, can a end user combine datasets of more than one app and build his own report in a separate pbix file ?

Thanks in advanse.

9 REPLIES 9
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Venkata1858 yes to both 🙂
Regarding the how, you have some reading to do 🙂
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

And a recent update regarding what you need to do regarding the users of the new app that will have report created from direct query over dataset in different apps:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/update-to-required-permissions-when-using-composite-models-...

In case it answered your question, please accept it as a solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate Your Kudos ‌‌
Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI 
Website Linkedin Facebook 
This is SpartaBI!

Hi @SpartaBI Thanks for the response, but I'm getting below error when I click add local model.

"An error occurred while loading the model. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source."

I have enabled the preview feature aswell 

Venkata1858_1-1652342231949.png

Venkata1858_0-1652341662174.png

@Venkata1858 can you make sure you have the most updated version of PBIX and also after you enable this feature close the file and re open it

@SpartaBI , I  have just updated my power bi desktop (April-2022), now I'm getting different error message.

Venkata1858_1-1652345724977.png

Venkata1858_0-1652345628892.png

@Venkata1858 are you able to refresh the visuals before you switch to direct query?
Also, please toggle on all the preview features just to be sure, close the file and do the testing.

Able to refresh visuals. Enabled all preview features and checked, but no luck.

@Venkata1858 is the dataset you are connecting to resides in an old workspace (V1) or the new modern workspace?
Can you also just publish that dataset again and try to do the same with connecting to the dataset published 

@SpartaBI I could reach upto here, but unable to see any other dataset except the one i have already connected, and Perspective is disabled in the dropdown.

Venkata1858_1-1652361742561.png

@Venkata1858 this is becasue you are in the same file. I meant open a new file from scratch and look for your new dataset. By the way you can also try to submit in that step, that's ok , this is the nomral flow from live to direct query. After that you will be able to connect to more dataset in case you don't get your error from before.

2022-05-09 22_36_04-Power BI Workspace Datasets License Permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png  SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Full-Logo11.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.