Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Quinnie2017
Helper II
Helper II

Calling all Shape map experts - need help creating a DMA map

Hi Everyone - After researching this forum, I have not been able to find a successful solution to create a Designated Market Area (DMA) map in PowerBi.  For those unfamilar with DMA's they are an area or region that can have the same media offerings.  These are designated by a company called Nieslen.

It looks the the PowerBI Shapemap option, which is currently in preview , might be able to solve this, but it goes beyond my ability to understand.  It requires loading a JSON file, which I think I might have found a DMA .json file here.  

My request is for some help to just get started and I can take it from there.  If you can get the DMA map to work using this .json that would get me started.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Shapemap has been in preview since before the dinosaurs.

I managed to get nielsentopo.json to render.  Here's the picture with some map keys:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 235025.png

Here's a tutorial to get started on shapemap:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-shape-map#:~:text=To%20enable%20Shape%20Ma... 

You have to have some data loaded in powerbi before it'll let you add a custom shapemap (it doesn't matter if it's dummy data, anything will do).  Just get a column in the Location field well to get started.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Quinnie2017
Helper II
Helper II

Marked as solution!  Thanks @HotChilli !

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You've made all the right steps but the shapemap you've used doesn't render.  It's the nielsentopo.json one that works.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Add shapemap visual to report canvas.  Add data to Location field well. Go to 'Format' section of shapemap (the paintroller icon). Go to Shape section.  Load in custom shapemap.

I must be an idiot because I tried what you said and still can't get it to work.  Here are the files, can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qwsDwRFcI-iEi2AV8livcO9Y0tssNyAu?usp=sharing

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Shapemap has been in preview since before the dinosaurs.

I managed to get nielsentopo.json to render.  Here's the picture with some map keys:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 235025.png

Here's a tutorial to get started on shapemap:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-shape-map#:~:text=To%20enable%20Shape%20Ma... 

You have to have some data loaded in powerbi before it'll let you add a custom shapemap (it doesn't matter if it's dummy data, anything will do).  Just get a column in the Location field well to get started.

Thanks @HotChilli !  I've got data ready do load - no problem there, but I could never get the .json to render even after reading the help.  Do you mind sharing the .pbix or the steps you took to get it to render?

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors