Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cbrow97

Calculation question regarding when measures are processed -specifically related to slicer selection

I'm curious to know if measures which are not used on a particular tab calculate when a slicer selection is made. When a slicer selection is made, every visual and measure on the tab appears to render the requested filter selection (as expected). What I want to know is if having dormant measures in a Power BI file is causing possible performance issues because they're recalculating upon a slicer selection even if they're not used in the report.

To provide more context, these 'dormant' measures are calculations that might be used in the future which is why I'm hesitant to delete them unless they're actually a contributor to the performance issues I'm facing.

I'm totally aware performance issues go far and beyond measure calculations, but the data is clean as possible, so I want to explore the question I posed.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@cbrow97 wrote:

I'm curious to know if measures which are not used on a particular tab calculate when a slicer selection is made. When a slicer selection is made, every visual and measure on the tab appears to render the requested filter selection (as expected). What I want to know is if having dormant measures in a Power BI file is causing possible performance issues because they're recalculating upon a slicer selection even if they're not used in the report.

Only the measures referenced by visuals on the current page are calculated.

Unused measures are not calculated and don't have any impact on performance when you change slicer selections.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@cbrow97 wrote:

Only the measures referenced by visuals on the current page are calculated.

Unused measures are not calculated and don't have any impact on performance when you change slicer selections.

Great, thank you for confirming

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.