Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

Calculation over a moving window

Hello,

I have data that looks like the image below (the first 3 columns).

I am trying to creat a calculation that will sum over a rolling 6 terms... see "Rolling" column. Each value in the Rolling column will be a sum for that row + the previous 5 rows, so 6 rows total.

There has to be a way to achieve this with a measure, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks so much!

Capture.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@heidibb try following

Rolling 6 rows = 
VAR __currRow = MAX ( Table[TermAxis] )
VAR __startRow = _currRow - 5
RETURN
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Value] ), Table[TermAxis] >= __startRow, Table[TermAxis] <= __currRow)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you! It's  not quite working.

I created a calculated measure using this per your example:

Capture1.PNG

The output for this is just the same value as the individual term value vs. the sum of the 6 terms

Capture.PNG

@heidibb interesting, I just tested at my end and it is working fine, not sure what we are missing here.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@heidibb do you have any other filters, a relationship which will be causing this, for testing, add ALL ( TableName ) and see if it work, although it is not required.

Yes, there are other filters. Good catch! All didn't work, but ALLSELECTED did:

Capture.PNG

THANK YOU!!!

@parry2k  -- one additional question for you on this cacluation. It's working great, but one additional layer of complexity..  The rolling window for undergraduate terms is 6 terms and the rolling window for graduate terms is 5 terms. I am hoping to have one calculation that does this rolling metric figuring in the different rolling windows. We do have a way to determine the term type of UG and GR, so that can be used as an attribute somewhere.

I thought I could fumble my way through it, but I'm hitting a wall. I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the logic in the __StartRow using the term type criteria?

As a reminder, the current calcuation is:

Rolling Graduated 150% =
VAR __currRow = max ( 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis])
VAR __startRow = __currRow - 5
RETURN
CALCULATE ([Total Graduated 150%], ALLSELECTED('Graduation Retention'),'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] >= __startRow , 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] <= __currRow)

Just to close the loop on this, I think I've figured it out.

I created a UG fee:

Rolling Graduated 150% UG ?
VAR __currRow máx ( 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis])
VAR __startRow - __currRow - 5
return
CALCULATE ([Total Graduate 150%], ALLSELECTED('Graduation Retention'), 'Academic Program'[AcademicLevelCode] - "UG", 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] >-__startRow , 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] <-__currRow)

And a GR rate:

Rolling Graduate 150% GR ?
VAR __currRow máx ( 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis])
VAR __startRow - __currRow - 4
return
CALCULATE ([Total Graduate 150%], ALLSELECTED('Graduation Retention'), 'Academic Program'[AcademicLevelCode] - "GR",'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] > __startRow , 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] <-__currRow)

Here's a final measure:

150% - SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Graduation Retention'[Academic Level Code]), "UG", [Rolling Graduated 150% UG] , "GR", [Rolling Graduated 150% GR])

Just to close the loop on this, I think I've figured it out.

I created a UG rate:

Rolling Graduated 150% UG = 
VAR __startRow = __currRow - 5
RETURN
CALCULATE ([Total Graduated 150%], ALLSELECTED('Graduation Retention'), 'Academic Program'[AcademicLevelCode] = "UG", 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] >= __startRow , 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] <= __currRow)

And a GR rate:

Rolling Graduated 150% GR = 
VAR __startRow = __currRow - 4
RETURN
CALCULATE ([Total Graduated 150%], ALLSELECTED('Graduation Retention'), 'Academic Program'[AcademicLevelCode] = "GR",'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] >= __startRow , 'Graduation Retention'[DegreeLevelCohortTermAxis] <= __currRow)

Then a final measure:

150% = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Graduation Retention'[Academic Level Code]), "UG", [Rolling Graduated 150% UG] , "GR", [Rolling Graduated 150% GR])

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.