Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated column across multiple tables

Hello, I have a database with quite a few tables in it and I need to be able to calculate a combined volume of items. Now the tricky part is there are so many link I can't quite work out what to do (I'm a bit of a noob)

I will write this a bit like a query so it will say tablename(column) and I have given an example of the numbers involved below.

• diary(ddid) which has a unique reference links to claimentity(credid) via the same reference and can give many results.
    • So diary(DDID) 490841 returns 11 items in claimentity(credid) each with unique claimentitiy(custid)

1.PNG

• If we then take the top item in the screenshot above, claimentity(custid) 2100600 links to reminvent(riid). Then we take the value of reminvent(ri-packmethod) which is also unique 1424908P

2.PNG

• We want to link reminvent(ri-packmethod) to inventory(in-number) on 1424908P for example but Power BI crashes when trying to create a link between these tables (any idea why this is?)
  • We would like to return inventory(in-nm) for the volume of 1424908P.

3.PNG

Thanks in advance  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nah, this is a known error in the december release of BI desktop. It was fixed in January release. So download the latest version and that particular issue is solved. Had the same thing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You said Power BI crashes when you link reminvent(ri-packmethod) to inventory(in-number) on 1424908P. How it crash, what error message you got?

How do you get 0.192, which come a column of another table?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning, a black box comes up with SQLdumper as below

sql dump.PNG 

In the event log there are 2 messages

1.PNG 

2.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

From your error message, you get data from SQL Server Analysis Service, right? The error shows MSOLAP$AnalysisServiceWorkspace1107612610 is not found, it seems  there is some problem about your SSAS rather Power Bi desktop, please check it by SSAS Administrator. Or restart your SSAS service, get data again and check if it works fine.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Nah, this is a known error in the december release of BI desktop. It was fixed in January release. So download the latest version and that particular issue is solved. Had the same thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading worked and it is no longer crashing when trying to create the link so thank you. Problem I have now is that it is saying there is no unique values in one of the table columns.

I cannot see how this is true as reminvent(pack-method) has 11111111P and in inventory(in-number) there will be the same number.

thanks 

Hi @Anonymous,

I am glad to hear your Power Bi desktop no longer crashing, but I still confusing the sentence "I cannot see how this is true as reminvent(pack-method) has 11111111P and in inventory(in-number) there will be the same number." Do you have other issue?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.