Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincentnoot
Resolver I
Resolver I

Calculate prognosed total / circular dependency issue

Hi all,

For a liquidity prognosis I want to make a measure that calculates the month's total liquid position based on previous months' expenses and prognosed liquid position.

My table has 4 rows:

- Expenses > lists all planned expenses in this month

- Cash position > The cash position at the start of the current month

- Prognosis > Equals the total of cash position + expenses for the next month

- Total > Equals the total of Expenses + Cash position + Prognosis

As the sharp reader will have realized, [Prognosis] and [Total] are in a circular dependency. However, logically I believe there has to be a way to have the total calculated based on the formula's own result in the previous month. Has anyone got some insights into this problem? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I managed to solve the problem by simply creating 12 measures (one for each month) that each take the total value of the month before.

I think my desired outcome is impossible in Power BI, as it will always lead to circularity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vincentnoot
Resolver I
Resolver I

@amitchandak 

Liquidity = SUM(tb_Budget[AmountDC]

LiquidityCashPosition =
VAR Date_select =
IF (
MONTH ( TODAY () ) = 1 && DAY( TODAY () ) <= 16,
DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ) - 1, 12, 1 ),
IF ( MONTH ( TODAY () ) > 1 && DAY ( TODAY () ) <= 16,
DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ) -1, 1),
IF (DAY( TODAY () ) > 16,
DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
)))
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(tb_BankEntries[OpeningBalanceFC]), tb_BankEntries[Created] = Date_select)

LiquidityPrognosis = IF([LiquidityCashPosition ] > 0, 0, CALCULATE([LiquiditeitTotaal], DATEADD(dimdate[Date], -1, MONTH)))

LiquidityTotal = 
[LiquidityCashPosition ] + [Liquidity] + CALCULATE([LiquiditeitPrognosis], DATEADD(dimdate[Date], -1, MONTH))

As you can see the liquiditytotal refers to prognosis and prognosis refers to the total, but since the prognosis should use the total of the previous month, I believe it should be possible to avoid the circular dependency.

Hi @vincentnoot ,

In order to make it clearer and easier to understand your problem and find the right way to solve it, could you please provide some data from the involved tables (without sensitive data) and some practical examples to illustrate the problem and the backend logic. Thank you.

And for circular dependency, you can get more details in the following links.

Avoiding circular dependency errors in DAX

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I managed to solve the problem by simply creating 12 measures (one for each month) that each take the total value of the month before.

I think my desired outcome is impossible in Power BI, as it will always lead to circularity.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@vincentnoot ,

Prognosis is using Cash position and Expenses  then they are not

and if Prognosis  using Cash position then what is the need to use it again.

Can you share actual formula 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.