Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate employee turnover

Hello,

I have a employee table like this : 

Employee_code l Start_date l End_Date l Actif (Yes or no ) 

I want to calculate the Annual turnover which is this formula : 

Annual turnover = [(Number of employees that left  + Number of arrivals N)/2] / Number of employees at january first  

The issue that i see is, we can't have a measure that calculate number of employees during a dynamic period that can be controlled by a filter, i don't know if i expressed my self correctly,

what's the closest solution that we can have ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Take a look at the attached file.  I think the measure will return what you are looking for.

Turnover = 
VAR FirstOfYear = STARTOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR LastOfYear = ENDOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR JanFirstHC = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(employees), FILTER ( employees, employees[start_date] <= FirstOfYear && ( employees[end_date] > FirstOfYear || ISBLANK(employees[end_date]) ) ) )
VAR NewHires = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[start_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[start_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR Leavers = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[end_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[end_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR AnnualTurnover = ((Leavers + NewHires)/2) / JanFirstHC
RETURN 
FORMAT(AnnualTurnover,"PERCENT")

I put each variable from above into it's own mesure just so you could see what it is calculating.

turnover.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Take a look at the attached file.  I think the measure will return what you are looking for.

Turnover = 
VAR FirstOfYear = STARTOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR LastOfYear = ENDOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR JanFirstHC = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(employees), FILTER ( employees, employees[start_date] <= FirstOfYear && ( employees[end_date] > FirstOfYear || ISBLANK(employees[end_date]) ) ) )
VAR NewHires = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[start_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[start_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR Leavers = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[end_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[end_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR AnnualTurnover = ((Leavers + NewHires)/2) / JanFirstHC
RETURN 
FORMAT(AnnualTurnover,"PERCENT")

I put each variable from above into it's own mesure just so you could see what it is calculating.

turnover.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is also a little issue with the turnover calculations : it's supposed to be new hires + Leavers but since Leavers is negative its calculation is wrong, i think in the formula we should write -Leavers instead of +leavers so the - can turn into a +

@Anonymous 

Yeah, I wasn't sure which way you wanted those to sum, sounds like you got it the way you need now.  You only need to add the one big measure.   I just added the others so you could see the numbers.  They might be useful to have though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, i just want to add for the other users that will see the post, to have the correct turnover formula to work in a double axis as a  percentage, Leave it at "Return AnnuelTurnover" without the "percentage" format then go to model  and change the format to percentage, you also need to delete the - in the leavers formula

I updated the leavers portion of my measure in the original post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @jdbuchanan71 it worked perfectly,

however there is only one issue, when i added the 6 measures and saved closed the report, i coulnd't open it this morning, it says file corrupted impossible to open, luckily i have it published online, i will repeat all the steps and try again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.