Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AA622
Helper II
Helper II

Calculate change in type per quarter

Hello I have to create a card with a measure showing the change of product/request type from quarter to quarter. Our Customer Service Dept gets tons of calls each day and log each call under a request type whether it be product info complaints regulatory questions. They want to closely monitor the change from qtr to qtr under this particular type

We have 13 different products vs 41 different request types.

2nd qtr - (4/1/2021 - 6/30/2021) = 188 total

3rd qtr - (7/1/2021 - 9/30/2021) = 72 total

The table is called MergedInquires, and the 2 respective fields are [Product] and [Request Type]

Can you help me get started on the calculations? I usually have to calculate changes with sales figures so I assume the functions used will differ. I assume the measures needed will be one for the current quater, last quarter, and then a 'change' measure. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AA622 ,

The table is called MergedInquires, and the 2 respective fields are [Product] and [Request Type]   But where is the Date field?

I have created a data sample:

Eyelyn9_0-1639636966454.png

Count Per QTR = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires'),ALLEXCEPT(MergedInquires,MergedInquires[Date].[QuarterNo])) 
% Change = 
var _preQTR=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires'),FILTER(ALL(MergedInquires),[Date].[QuarterNo]= QUARTER(MAX('MergedInquires'[Date]))-1))

return DIVIDE(([Count Per QTR]-_preQTR) ,_preQTR)

Output:

Eyelyn9_1-1639637036441.png

If you want to calculate the % change based on Quarter and Type ,please try 

Count Per QTR and TYPE = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires (2)'),ALLEXCEPT('MergedInquires (2)','MergedInquires (2)'[Date].[QuarterNo],'MergedInquires (2)'[Request Type])) 
% Change 2 = 
var _preQTR=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires (2)'),FILTER(ALL('MergedInquires (2)'), [Request Type]=MAX('MergedInquires (2)'[Request Type])&&[Date].[QuarterNo]= QUARTER(MAX('MergedInquires (2)'[Date]))-1))

return DIVIDE(([Count Per QTR and TYPE]-_preQTR) ,_preQTR)

Eyelyn9_2-1639637510837.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AA622 ,

The table is called MergedInquires, and the 2 respective fields are [Product] and [Request Type]   But where is the Date field?

I have created a data sample:

Eyelyn9_0-1639636966454.png

Count Per QTR = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires'),ALLEXCEPT(MergedInquires,MergedInquires[Date].[QuarterNo])) 
% Change = 
var _preQTR=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires'),FILTER(ALL(MergedInquires),[Date].[QuarterNo]= QUARTER(MAX('MergedInquires'[Date]))-1))

return DIVIDE(([Count Per QTR]-_preQTR) ,_preQTR)

Output:

Eyelyn9_1-1639637036441.png

If you want to calculate the % change based on Quarter and Type ,please try 

Count Per QTR and TYPE = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires (2)'),ALLEXCEPT('MergedInquires (2)','MergedInquires (2)'[Date].[QuarterNo],'MergedInquires (2)'[Request Type])) 
% Change 2 = 
var _preQTR=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('MergedInquires (2)'),FILTER(ALL('MergedInquires (2)'), [Request Type]=MAX('MergedInquires (2)'[Request Type])&&[Date].[QuarterNo]= QUARTER(MAX('MergedInquires (2)'[Date]))-1))

return DIVIDE(([Count Per QTR and TYPE]-_preQTR) ,_preQTR)

Eyelyn9_2-1639637510837.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@AA622 you should add a calendar dimension in your model for any time intelligence-related calculation. You can follow my blog post to add a calendar dimension Create a basic Date table in your data model for Time Intelligence calculations | PeryTUS IT Solutio..., once this dimension is created, add the following two measures:

Total Count = COUNTROWS ( YourTable ) //or you can create any other measure

Previous Quarter Count = CALCULATE ( [Total Count], PREVIOUSQUARTER ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) )

To visualize, use quarter from Calendar dimension and above measure and product, request type to see current and previous quarter result.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.