Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahamdan
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Gross margin in Profit and Loss statement

Dear Expert,

I need to do following in Power BI, I need to have the calculation as below, any one can help.

Total
Revenue100
Cost90
Gross Profit10
Gross Margin10%

Equation as below: 

Gross Profi = Revenue - Cost

Gross Margin = (Gross Profit / Revenue ) * 100

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ahamdan,

=> Simply, I am trying to do P&L and I need it to be in the same format as I mentioned.

So did you mean that you want to make the Gross Profi and Gross Margin also in the same column with Cost and Revenue? If so, I'm afraid it cannot be achieved in Power BI.

You should know that Power BI is a data analytics tool. We can create a new calculated column or a measure to calculate value based on the source table. However it is not possible to insert the calculated value into the source table. This should be done at data source side.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dineshksh

Hello All,

Kindly can you help to create simple profit and loss table in power bi by row wise and data is exported from excel as below,

Accounts        Amounts

Cost                 50000

Revenue        100000

Gross Profit     50000

% Profit               500

Link https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Profit-Loss-on-Matrix-Table-in-power-BI/td-p/508365.

Example

A_SwitchedMeasures_GroupPKR = sumx(ListMeasure_Group,
SWITCH([Selected_Measure_Group],
1,[A_Tot_Rev_PKR],
2,[A_COR_PKR],
3,[Margin_A_PKR],
4,Divide([Margin_A_PKR],[A_Tot_Rev_PKR])*100,
5,[A_Practice_OH_PKR],
6,([Margin_A_PKR]-[A_Practice_OH_PKR]),
7,[A_Sell_PKR],
8,[CM_A_PKR]-[A_Practice_OH_PKR],
9,Divide([CM_A_PKR]-[A_Practice_OH_PKR],[A_Tot_Rev_PKR])*100,
10,[A_AdminExpenses_PKR],
11,[A_OIncome_PKR],
12,[A_Donation_Group_PKR],
13,([A_Net Profit_PKR]+[A_OIncome_PKR]-[A_Donation_Group_PKR]),
14,Divide(([A_Net Profit_PKR]+[A_OIncome_PKR]-[A_Donation_Group_PKR]),[A_Tot_Rev_PKR])*100
)
)
Ghulam Abbas

sorry i need in column wise pls

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @ahamdan,

Based on your sample data, the Revenue and Cost are in one same column. So is it true as they are truly in one same column? 

If so, the formula for Gross Profi can be like this:

Gross Profi =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( Test[Value] ), Test[Column] = "Revenue" )
    - CALCULATE ( MAX ( Test[Value] ), Test[Column] = "Cost" )

And Gross Margin can be:

Gross Margin =
DIVIDE (
    [Gross Profi],
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Test[Value] ), Test[Column] = "Revenue" )
)

If the Revenue and Cost are came from other measures. Please don't be lazy to share use your acutal situation. Since we can't see your real data, it'll help us a lot to understand your requirement if you can share us your actual sample data and the measure formulas.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Thank you Sir, 

Yes Cost and Revenue are in the same column.

Simply, I am trying to do P&L and I need it to be in the same format as I mentioned.

Hi @ahamdan,

=> Simply, I am trying to do P&L and I need it to be in the same format as I mentioned.

So did you mean that you want to make the Gross Profi and Gross Margin also in the same column with Cost and Revenue? If so, I'm afraid it cannot be achieved in Power BI.

You should know that Power BI is a data analytics tool. We can create a new calculated column or a measure to calculate value based on the source table. However it is not possible to insert the calculated value into the source table. This should be done at data source side.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Thanks for your reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.