Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CincyChi

Calculate/Count without numbers

Very new user to PowerBI and I am trying to see if there is a way to calculate on a term that isn't a numerical value.  The data that I am loading is in excel format, and the values in the columns are certain words.  My solution currently has been to create a template that has IF/THEN formulas which convert the words to a 1 or 0 which allows me to calculate the total number of a given term in a column.  I can then present these in the report view as various cards and allow the users of the report to adjust the slicers to see their desired metrics.  Does anyone no a way that I can manipulate/transform my data directly when loading into Desktop so that I can cut out the step of using my self built template using IF/THEN statements to translate the words to numerical values?  

6 REPLIES 6
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

When you say you built a template, what do you mean? Is it a supplemental file that you are joining to your data? You can use Power Query or DAX to create the logic to do this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

The file that is exported from our system contains words such as "submitted", "pending", "Past due", and this is in the form of an Excel file.  When I say template I mean that I simply add columns to the that file with IF/THEN formulas that convert the desired word, say "Submitted" in this example, to a 1 in a seperate column.  This then allows me to calculate the number of of items with "Submitted" in that column of interest.  I then add other IF/THEN formulas and seperate columns for all the other options in that column of interest, "Pending", "Past Due", etc.  I have built this "template" once and then everytime I export my data from our system I need to pass it through this template to make my calculations.  So I guess I am asking if there is a simple way in Power BI to have the system count a defined data element in a column that isn't a numerical value?

Yes, you can absolutely do this step in Power Query instead!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @CincyChi ,
Not sure if you are looking for this but create a calculated column with below DAX:

Word_Occurence =
IF(
    CONTAINSSTRING(New_Table[Sentence], "completed") || CONTAINSSTRING(New_Table[Sentence], "past due") || CONTAINSSTRING(New_Table[Sentence], "pending"),
)

Here's the result:

Anand24_0-1698865901205.png

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

Shalini_T
Frequent Visitor

@CincyChi, Can you please share the sample data and the expected output? And what will be the values in the slicer?

Regards,

Shalini

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @CincyChi ,
Can you please provide sample data and expected output/result?

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.