Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATE with SELECTDISTINCT and FILTER on Existing Measure

Hi,

Showing my question/example in Excel to protect actual data, but I'm doing this work in BI.

I have the following table called Accounts in a dataset:

Dataset 1.JPG

I also have a measure (Account ID DistinctCount) that gives me the DISTINCTCOUNT of Account ID's for firms:

Measure 1.JPG

Here is the DAX for my Account ID DistinctCount measure:   DISTINCTCOUNT(Accounts[Account ID]).

This measure is working as expected.

I'm now trying to write a measure2. For measure2I need to calculate the total number of Firms that a) have at least 2 accounts, and b) the Values of said accounts exceed 1. Given the dataset above, I'd expect my result to be 1. (Firm 2 is the only firm with at least 2 accounts whose Values exceed 1).

I tried writing this CALCULATE in DAX as follows:

Measure = CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(Accounts[Firm ID]),
FILTER(Accounts,Accounts[Account ID DistinctCount]>2),
FILTER(Accounts,Accounts[Value]>1))

PowerBI is approving my syntax, but the result I yield when I put this measure into a table is (null). Where am I going wrong? Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Here is one way:

Measure 2 = 
    VAR __Table = SUMMARIZE('Table (2)',[Firm ID],"Count",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table (2)'[Account ID]),"Value",SUM('Table (2)'[Value]))
RETURN
    COUNTX(FILTER(__Table,[Count]>2 && [Value] > 1),[Firm ID])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Greg_Deckler. I'm a total newbie: what do I replace the underscores with? What is Table(2) representing?

I got this far, but stopped after several syntax flags:

= SUMMARIZE(DailyAUM,[company_name],"Count",DISTINCTCOUNT(DailyAUM[account_id]),"Value",SUM(DailyAUM[AUM]))
RETURN
COUNTX(FILTER(

Also, if it helps, I also tried putting a DISTINCTCOUNT inside of my FILTER from my original attempt, and got this:

SpecialFirmCount = CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Firm ID]),
FILTER(Table,DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Account ID])>99),
FILTER(Table,Table[Value]>1))

This got me a value, but higher than what I was expecting.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update @Greg_Deckler 

I think I got the syntax down, but the result yielded was (null). Here's the query with actual referents:

SpecialFirmCount =
VAR Field1 =
SUMMARIZE(DailyAUM,DailyAUM[company_name],"Count",DISTINCTCOUNT(DailyAUM[account_id]),"Value",SUM(DailyAUM[AUM]))
RETURN
COUNTX(FILTER(DailyAUM,[DistinctCountAccountID]>99 && [AUM]>1),[company_name])

The "Field1" next to VAR, I just made up; not sure what that's referring to. 

Another query I tried that failed:

SpecialFirmCount = CALCULATE(

DISTINCTCOUNT(DailyAUM[company_name]),

FILTER(DailyAUM,DailyAUM[DistinctCountAccountID])>99,

FILTER(DailyAUM,DailyAUM[AUM]>1))

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more update for this evening. I've literally been at this for 12 hours straight.

I created a measure that gets very close. The DAX behind the measure is as follows:

CountAcctsValueGrtrThn1 = CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(DailyAUM[account_id]),DailyAUM[AUM]>1)

This gives me the count of account IDs whose value is greater than 1.

I then created a basic table visual and added Firm as a single column. Then, I dragged my measure to be a filter on the table, and said, "CountAcctsValueGrtrThn1 is greater than 99" --> so, Show me Firms that have more than 99 account_id's with Values greater than 1.

The resulting table shows me the expected list:
Firm
Firm 1
Firm 2
Firm 3
Firm 4
Firm 5

But my goal is to show the number 5, not the names of the 5 firms. Since the field is a text string, I go to change it to Count (Distinct). But as soon as I do, my filter on measure CountAcctsValueGrtrThn1 goes away.

Table, filtered on my measure, correctly showing 5 results:

Picture1.png

Table, measure filter removed, after hitting Count (Distinct)

Picture2.png

I expected this value to show 5. But the value it shows, 59, is the total count of all Firms ("company_name"'s). It's almost as if I can't filter using multiple Count Distinct's?

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Hi  @Anonymous ,

You need a measure rather than just using count (distinctcount) in the field,could you pls upload your .pbix file(remove the confidentail information) to onedrive business and share the link with us?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-kelly-msft , thanks for your response.

What's the best way to mask PII before uploading the PBIX? If you have a link to instructions, I can take a look. Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Just remove the confidential information or you could make a simple sample such as dragging some data from your file,then upload it to onedrive business and share the link with us.

Hope this make sense.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a colleague assist me, but have now run into a separate issue.

The DAX that solved my problem was:

Measure - Firms with >100 accounts with >$1 =
var summarized_table = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Table'[company name],"accounts over $1",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Account ID]),'Table'[AUM]>1))
return COUNTX(FILTER(summarized_table,[accounts over $1]>=100),'Table'[company name])

This Measure gives me the correct count.
However, anytime I try to add a filter on top of a visual using this measure, the visual breaks.

With filter:
With Filter.png

Without filter:
Without Filter.jpg

Any idea the best way to prevent a Measure visual from breaking when applying filters?

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Not quite sure without your .pbix file,try to use "summarize" in stead of "summarizecolumns"..

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.