Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mubarak63

Build Visuals pane missing - Power BI Desktop

I accidentally closed the Visualization pane from the Power BI Desktop. Now the View group can only enables the Format pane but not the Build Visuals.

I explored for many options to get it back, couldn't. Finally I uninstalled and re-installed the PowerBI Desktop version. The installation still has the same issue. Kindly advise.

Regards

Mubarak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With the option enabled the build visuals pane no longer exists. You can now add visuals from the Home tab.

johnt75_0-1681811896951.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PastorEmmanuel

I went to the New Visual + button  in the Home Ribbon . Clicked it and an option came out to add "Build Visual" to pane switcher... I did that and it appeared  on the right most pane along side Data, Format, Bookmarks, Selection

That's how I recovered my "Build Visuals" button

THIS was the solution that I needed! Thank you!

CJSquibb
Advocate II
Advocate II

For future visitors to this thread, I would like to add this information (this issue came up on a training course today).

If you have the "On Object Interaction" Preview feature turned on (March 2023, but possibly a month or two later to reach this stage), you will find an icon on the View menu called Pane switcher.  The pane switcher is a narrow strip down the right hand side with icons for each display pane available and this icon controls how it works.  Simply tick "Move Build a visual to pane switcher" and the option will become available.

If this option is not ticked, Build a visual is tied to the visual itself (not a popular location according to the feedback).  The other item under the Pane switcher icon is "Always show pane switcher"; I always tick both items: together they make the Preview feature workable.

Also remember you can Ctrl-click on the icons in the pane switcher strip to bring up panes side-by-side, e.g. Build a Visual and Data.  Another step towards making the feature useable.

The Ctrl-click tip has saved me. I don't understand why the panes keep disappearing  and I have to keep reopening them.  I wish there was some way of pinning them open but at least the CTRL-click has saved  a few clicks.

Thanks 

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Have you enabled the new on object interaction preview feature ? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-on-object-interaction 

Thanks John, this was my issue, that feature is terrible, you cannot do a lot of things and it increases the mouse miles loads, serves me right for enabling all the new stuff.

Thanks John.

The option is already enabled. Still the same issue. I couldn't enable the Visualization pane as below. Only the Format option is visible .

Build Visuals (Charts) pane is missingBuild Visuals (Charts) pane is missing

With the option enabled the build visuals pane no longer exists. You can now add visuals from the Home tab.

johnt75_0-1681811896951.png

Thanks John. Disabling the option helped me to bring back the Visualizations pane. Appreciate !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.