Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bug in the Matrix? Alternate Row Color not showing up.

Hi all,

So I'm running into a weird issue with a matrix table I created. 

When I change the "Subtotal" background color it removed the alternate row color in the matrix and gives me a all white matrix. Even when I go to change the alternate background color in Values it does nothing. 

I've made 4 different matrix tables and combined them to all so it looks like one solid table. But out of the 4 tables this one just wont seem to do the alternate rows and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong or if this is just a glitch in the Matrix. 

Default Settings
Default SettingDefault Setting

Change Background of Subtotals:

Change Background of SubtotalsChange Background of Subtotals

Only difference is this background color:

Only difference between these two imagesOnly difference between these two images

7 REPLIES 7
Kris2x5
Advocate II
Advocate II

I still find my matrix glitching on alternate background colors, but found that if I pick the "alternating rows" preset, that seems to work. 

Kris2x5_0-1659390646517.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I know its too late. But I just saw this post when I was looking for a solution to a similar problem.

You can try to turn off background color in "cell element" section under each series. This solved the problem for me

JishnuRajiv_0-1650267455128.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I just test at my end it is working fine, I'm using november  desktop version

image.png

what does alternate background color looks at your end?

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k, it works perfectly fine on the other 14 matrix tables on this report but this one matrix table is having this issue. It matches all the same formatting as the other tables but this one just refuses to give me the alternate background color on "Values" when I add the Subtotal background color. 

Other weird thing is when I use the "Format Painter" from the table next to it, it completely changes the format to something unlike anything else on my report.  I'm at a total loss here as to what could be causing this other than some sort of bug. 

Matrix Error 2.PNG

@Anonymous this is weird, I guess create new matrix and see if that works, I know you probably already thought about it, not very helpful answer but not sure what else to say. You can surely open a support ticket but not sure if it is worth.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I figured, but wanted to post it up here to see if anyone else has ever experienced this before. I might reach out to my Microsoft rep and let them know about it. 

But yeah I already tried making a new matrix and putting in it's place but for some reason I'm having the same issue. It's not a life or death thing for me, just as bit annoying to my designer brain lol. I doubt the people I'm making this for would even notice. But it stands out like crazy to me. lol

@Anonymous I hear ya, and I'm in the same boat like you, it will piss me off regardless someone going to notice it or not. Anyhow, good luck. Cheers!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.