Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

Bookmarks vs Field Parameters

Hi there,

What is better performance wise. Imagine I need to switch measures or x axis fields... Field parameters seem more practical to work with but it seems the visuals take more to load because you need to evaluate the parameters sometimes.

Any guess?

2 REPLIES 2
kaisrec
Helper I
Helper I

Field Parameters:

Field parameters in Power BI are dynamic filters that allow users to change data at runtime without altering the report design. They offer flexibility in analyzing data by enabling users to modify filters or parameters directly within the report.

Pros:

1. Dynamic Filtering: Users can adjust parameters within the report, enabling dynamic changes in visualizations without modifying the underlying dataset or report design.
  2. Adaptability: Field parameters are versatile, allowing users to explore different slices of data or scenarios without the need for multiple static report versions.
  3. Interactivity: Enhances user interactivity by enabling on-the-fly adjustments to filters, making the reports more engaging and insightful.

Cons:

1. Complexity: Implementing field parameters might require a level of understanding of Power BI functionalities, especially for complex scenarios.
  2. Limitations: They may not cover all use cases, particularly when dealing with complex hierarchical or conditional filtering requirements.
  3. Performance Impact: Depending on the complexity and size of the dataset, using field parameters might impact report performance.

Bookmarks:

Bookmarks in Power BI capture the state of a report page, including filters, slicers, visibility settings, and selections made by the user. They help in creating guided navigation experiences within a report.

Pros:

1. Navigational Control: Bookmarks enable users to create guided experiences by defining different states of a report page and facilitating easy navigation between them.
  2. Enhanced Storytelling: They allow for storytelling within a report by guiding users through a predefined sequence of visuals or information.
  3. Visual Customization: Bookmarks can be used to control visibility, formatting, and selections, offering a customized experience.

Cons:

1. Limited Interactivity: While bookmarks offer predefined states, they may limit the real-time interactivity that field parameters provide.
  2. Complexity in Management: Managing multiple bookmarks across various pages or complex reports might become cumbersome and require careful organization.
  3. Potential Overloading: Overusing bookmarks might confuse users if there are too many options or states to navigate within the report.

in Summary

• Field Parameters provide dynamic filtering and interactivity within the report, allowing users to modify data views on the fly.
  • Bookmarks offer guided navigation and storytelling by capturing different states of a report page.

Choosing between them depends on the specific requirements of the report. For dynamic data exploration, use field parameters, while bookmarks are suitable for creating guided and structured navigation experiences.

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @campelliann,

The performance impact of using field parameters or measure parameters depends on factors such as measure complexity, dataset size, and usage scenario. Field parameters provide flexibility but may require re-evaluation, potentially impacting visual load time. Measure parameters offer predefined calculations, resulting in efficient performance but may have less flexibility. Testing in your specific context is recommended to determine the best option. Additionally, optimizing measures and queries can improve performance regardless of the parameter approach.

Let me know if you might require any further assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.