Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to direct user to network folder?

Hi, 

Across my dashboard, I have these buttons:

ST94_0-1675076995268.png

Top one links to a Power BI dashboard and the bottom is supposed to link to a network folder. I've learned that's impossible, so I'm looking for a workaround, while still keeping this format.

Things I've tried:

• Adding a tooltip to the button so the user can copy and paste the link displayed into File Explorer (Windows) - doesn't work because tooltips can't be interacted with
  • Created a table with a single value, saying "Link to Excel file" and made it look like those buttons - Can't remove column header (I've tried putting a blank space character as the column name but the column header is still highlighted when moused over) and doesn't have interactable tooltip
  • Making a multi-row card with a single value saying "Link to Excel file" - doesn't have clickable tooltip

Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
leonicab
Regular Visitor

I don't know if it suits you, but have you tried SharePoint? If you access to SharePoint as well, you can link PowerBI to SharePoint folders and files just as the ones you have on the network. But you can make you BI update automatically the source file information if it is on SharePoint via gateway, but not in a local directory. And since every file created has a web link, you can use it to link to your dashboard. I never tried creating links from the dashboard to outside, but I believe it could work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.