Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Steve123
Frequent Visitor

Best way to create a new table from existing table. Power Query or Power BI Desktop

Excuse this if it seems a very obvious question, but I'm new to Power BI, trying to migrate from using Excel.

I have "order line data" imported from csv into a table and it looks a bit like:

ORDER, ITEMCODE, QTY

order1, itemA, 2

order1, itemB, 5

order2, itemC, 1

order3, itemA, 10

order3, itemD, 2

In Power BI Desktop, I can present a Table summarising this such as

OrderID, Num Order Lines, Qty Ordered

order1, 2, 7

order2, 1, 1

order3, 2, 12

This displays what I want, but I want to work with this table, so that I can see how many orders have 1 line, how many have 2-5 lines, have many have 1 item, etc.

I figure I need to create my new table in data, rather than just display it, but should I create this using Power Query or the "New Table" functionality (button?) in Power BI Desktop? I've started doing both, but not sure which is the best way forward.

As I said, I'm new to this, although I have used Power Query and Power Pivot successfully in Excel. When I get this working, I want it to be a template, so that I can just import new order line data and Power BI Desktop will do the summary stuff for me, so wanted to make sure I'm going down the correct route first.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JorgePinho
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Steve123! Taking in consideration what you just said I recommend that you do that in Power Query Editor.

There you can use the "Group by" to archieve the desired table!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JorgePinho
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Steve123! Taking in consideration what you just said I recommend that you do that in Power Query Editor.

There you can use the "Group by" to archieve the desired table!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.