Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to append 2 tables

Hi guys,
Is there another way of appending two tables than from power query? The reason is when i do it, append as new, my file size goes to the double. Of course i delete some columns but that's not enough. Later i will have to do a merge on this one.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Regards

Pedro

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

If the append operation is performed in the edit query of powerbi, I think it may not be able to do too much optimization.

Here is a test.(My datasource is relatively small, so the following is just a guess)

Way1:Normal operation append as new

89.png

Way2: create  a blank query

86.png

87.png

Way3: append queries

88.png

This is a comparison result。

90.png

You  also  can change the pbix suffix to zip, then open it for comparison

91.png

If help ,refer this

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/05/02/what-makes-up-a-power-bi-desktop-pbix-file/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys, thank you so much for your answers but i believe i didn't tell you all of the story.
My append should be from 2 tables, which they also are appended from others.
Imagine a company that has several revenue and costs types. Each one is a table. At the end, i've appended them all into one, Main Sales or Main Costs, with all the details that i need for each business type. Now i need to compare on a superior level, without product details. For this, i've append both into 1 and delete the columns with details that i don't want, like product id, product, and all details from all business types.
When i did it, the append as new, my pbi file became 3 times larger, I'm affraid this will compromise my update and upload data, that's why i've asked if it would be better to do it in DAX, or any other way, in order to not grow my file size. Please be aware that i will need later to merge this "new appended" table....
If so, how?
Thanks in advance guys

Best regards

Pedro

Hi , @Anonymous 

I can't think of a better solution  to reduce file size  than using only one query to consolidate all operations.

For the issue, it is suggest to open a ticket here for better advice if you are a pro user:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Append in the same quey doesn't work for you ?

If no, what is your source ?

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.