Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

peps984
Frequent Visitor

Best visual for total revenues contribution

Hi,

company A has a frame agreement with a client. Company B is a subsidiary of A and does part of the job.

What is the best visual to show to stakeholders how the contribution B gives to total revenues changed year by year?

these are the values:

peps984_0-1689018382780.png

I've come up with this two solutions, but I think there could be a better way.

(labels of B in the first picture actually should be percentages, 40%, 30%...):

Immagine 2023-07-10 213607.png

In the first chart, 2022 contribution seems higher than 2019 because of absolute values, so it can be misleading.

In the second chart proprortions are correct, but the variation of total revenues can't be represented.

Is there a better way to visualize everything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @peps984 

According to your description, you want to use the "100% stacked bar chart" and add a  line graph as the total sum.

For your need , you can create two measures like this:

Sum of A Measure = DIVIDE( SUM('Table'[A]) ,  SUM('Table'[Total]))
Sum of B Measure = DIVIDE( SUM('Table'[B]) ,  SUM('Table'[Total]))

Then we can put this fields on the visual and we can get this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1689142549129.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem. (You can also upload you sample .pbix [without sensitive data] to the OneDrive and share with the OneDrive link to me ! )

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
peps984
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

thanks for your message. It certainly is a better solution than mine, but it still seems misleading because it's not so easy to visually compare the evolution of B over the years.

But your answer made me think, what if I use a 100% stacked bar chart (like my 2nd solution) and add a line graph as the total sum? Would it be possible in Power BI?

Hi , @peps984 

According to your description, you want to use the "100% stacked bar chart" and add a  line graph as the total sum.

For your need , you can create two measures like this:

Sum of A Measure = DIVIDE( SUM('Table'[A]) ,  SUM('Table'[Total]))
Sum of B Measure = DIVIDE( SUM('Table'[B]) ,  SUM('Table'[Total]))

Then we can put this fields on the visual and we can get this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1689142549129.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem. (You can also upload you sample .pbix [without sensitive data] to the OneDrive and share with the OneDrive link to me ! )

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya,

your solution fits perfectly with my needs! Thanks for your help

And thanks to @vicky_  for the inspiration!

vicky_
Super User
Super User

vicky__0-1689031417871.png

There's the built-in line and column graph that might be useful. I used the custom labels from the May 2023 version to show the percentages in the columns, but keep the line graph as the total sum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.