Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pbiuserr
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Best approach to maintain such axis

Hello,

I have a requirement to create a chart where axis should consist of

Workers

Management

Executives

The problem is that I can't categorize them based on one table by which I mean - workers are employees which got "Manufacturing" in field [Entity] from Referential_Entity table, Management and Executive are employee categories storied in Referential_EmployeeCategory table in field [Employee_Category]

Initially I've though that I can create in fact table a calculated column, like

SWITCH(TRUE(),
VALUES(Referential_Entity[Entity])= "Manufacturing", "Workers",
VALUES(Referential_EmployeeCategory[EmployeeCategory]) = 'Manager', "Management",
VALUES(Referential_EmployeeCategory[EmployeeCategory]) = 'Executive', "Executives"
)

However, shouldn't I create an additional table which would store ID, Category and then use it as an axis?

What would be the best approach? How to maintain such axis? Thank you in advance for your help

2 REPLIES 2
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pbiuserr ,

In power bi, it is best to use a star structure to build the model and use dimension tables to control the fact tables.

Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.