Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zerosugar
Helper II
Helper II

Best Way to Import Big Data from SSAS Cube?

Does anyone know the best way to import data with tens of millions of rows from SSAS cubes? Using one of the cubes in a SSAS server, I am looking to create a view with 8 columns and likely between 30-40 million rows. I can't make it smaller as I want a high degree of granularity in this report.

In addition to importing this data, I also need to perform transformations on it. The data has a Year and Month Column - I need to use Power Query to create a date object based on those two columns. The view will also have an "Attribute" column, which describes what type of value I'm looking at. I need to Pivot that column, sum up all the types to create a Total Column, and then Unpivot to get them back in the "Attribute" column.

Is there a way I can do this in Power BI? I tried using the technique of Parameters and Reducing Rows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYvybVMk7k), but it does not work for me, as the "Reduce Rows" option is greyed out. If I try in the advanced editor to reduce the number of rows to 1,000, I get this error "This query does not have any columns with the supported data types. It will be disabled from being loaded to the model."

I assume part of the problem is that I can't load the entire SSAS view in the first place. In the linked Guy in a Cube video, he already has his full dataset fully uploaded, and just uses parameters to make it smaller. I can't import all the data in the first place using my machine. What can I do? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The best way to import data from a cube is not to do it.  Cubes should be consumed via live connection.

If you must, write your own MDX queries to optimize the amount of data you are pulling. If you have a suitable datetime column you can consider using incremental refresh.  

Be aware that what you are doing is pulling data out of one multidimensional cube and stuffing it back into another cube lite (SSAS Tabular).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.